JUMP PACKETS - Pros/Cons, etc.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I picked up one of the small ones the size of a thick, full sized phone. Didn't even know the technology had gone past the massive versions from years gone by. I did it because I never got around to adding my second battery to my boat as the wiring and modifications for the blue sea systems add a battery switch were more than I have ever had time to deal with which doesnt comport with my upgraded sound system. Never used it yet and so I tossed it into my car just In case for the winter here in Minnesota. The videos of the number of vehiclea it can start are kind of surpprising. Diesles, v8's, it doesn't matter.

roffey

Commander
Up here in Canada we hook up the husky's to the front and jump start the car. its a little more difficult with the boat, in the winter but that's why I dont boat in the winter, water's to hard.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I own two automotive shops and one tow truck. I bought and carried one of the smaller six inch sized $70 units it lived under my console plugged in for about four months then one day I needed it to get a cars electrical fired up enough to get it out of gear. Would not work on a car with a bad and fully drained battery and all I needed was power for shif5 interlock, I used it several times in the shop for boosting cars that had been discharged from leaving a door open or key in and things went well for this but a dead rv marine battery that’s actually got a problem I would not trust it. Im reading about some $180 units that are supposed to do the job but for a boat I’d prefer one more battery and a good isolation system over that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
They have been out for years,not new. I would rather have one for a emergency back up,knowing that it will work 99% of the time vs calling seatow,.

My experience has been a dead battery is only about 5% of the reason one needs a tow. the majority of time, its a broken prop from hitting something