JUMP PACKETS - Pros/Cons, etc.

Dallesandro

Cadet
Just purchased a 1998 17' Sunbird Neptune 160CC with a Yamaha 90hp. Thinking of investing in a jump packet and since I've never had one, could use some guidance on types, sizes, brands, pros/cons, etc. pertinent to this boat. Thoughts, anyone??? Thank you!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A jump pack? Its two 12 volt rechargable batteries. Just enough juice to assist a marginal battery.

PS-1270.jpg

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Are you referring to those portable rechargeable emergency jump starter devices? I've seen that they come much smaller now. Like the size of a cell phone, but thicker. I don't know how good they are. I've never researched them. I have the old style larger one. I've never had to use it. It was a gift a couple years ago.
I have two batteries in my boat, so the chances of needing one is probably slim.

tpenfield

Staff member
So it is Jump Pack, not Jump Packet . . . :)

I know what a jump pack is :thumb: I think I needed one only once so far.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, the concept of carrying a backup battery, only good for jumping the main battery, makes no sense to me. Batteries last a certain amount of time, say 5 years in a boat. If you buy a new battery and a jump packet at the same time, they will likely both go bad at the same time.

If you wait to buy a jump packet, while your battery goes bad, you are better off buying a new battery.

I suppose buying a jump packet, when your batteries are half-way work out, has some merit, but the economics, space in the boat and weight don't work for me.

Also, batteries will normally not work on cold start, as that takes the most current. That should be at your dock, or on your trailer. Those are the best places for the boat to be, when the battery fails, as it can be replaced most easily.

JMO....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
That Yamaha is a two stroke right????? I bet there is an emergency pull cord under the hood to start it.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Are you referring to those portable rechargeable emergency jump starter devices? I've seen that they come much smaller now. Like the size of a cell phone, but thicker. I don't know how good they are. I've never researched them. I have the old style larger one. I've never had to use it. It was a gift a couple years ago.
I have two batteries in my boat, so the chances of needing one is probably slim.

I had the older type too...bought it about 4 yrs ago for 4 different boats, just in case
Never had to use it on a boat,

when l did need it for a car a month ago it had died a peaceful death,

better off changing batteries when they get some age

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have never used any "Jump Packet" ever. But I know they have some serious rechargeable high Farad type capacitors to do that. If that is what you are talking about, it can work, but certainly not for a long period of time. You could get a try to three and that capacitor will be drained. You then have to recharge it again for next time. They will dump a huge amount of current, but for only a short burst of time. I have even seen some vehicles solely use those caps to replace their regular batteries. Just have to keep them charged to work.

Alumarine

Captain
I have both kinds.
The bigger one has an 18Ah battery and will turn a V8 over with a completely dead battery.
The smaller one will start a V8 with slightly drained battery.
They will not start a motor that is not a good starter.

I boat in very remote areas and only have a starting battery so I always have the bigger one on the boat.
I load test it a couple of times a year.

I've never had to use it for myself but I've lent it to people at the ramp a few times.

mr 88

Commander
To answer your questions, there a a bunch of brands out there as are all about the same quality. The biggest thing to look at is the size of the clamps. They come in different amp sizes and your outboard would require the minimum that they sell. I would suggest a 250 amp and up so that you could throw the jump pack in your car for the off season. They are usually good for 6-20 jumps before requiring a charge and will last about 6 months with a full charge before recharging, if in a cold climate about 3- 4 months. They are a great emergency back up ,don't take up room ,lightweight and worth the piece of mind to own. No cons to them except laying out the 100.00 to buy one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I've had one for 3 years.
Large, has usb, 110 inverter, 12v w/jumper cables attached, built-in lights, $179 clearances for $49 when Sears closed, got lucky.

Never had it on the boat as I already have 2 batteries there, but have used it many times.
jumped several cars with it the first winter.
Then 2 motorcycles and an atv the next summer.
And have used it to charge phones and flashlights when remote camping.
Probably used it 25 times in the last 3 years.
Plug it in the port in the back of my truck to keep it topped off.

Don't know the capacity but it is easier to use than getting out the jumper cables and trying to get at my battery terminals in the van.

If you get one, get a good one. And make sure the internal battery(s) are replaceable.

Schumacher has some good ones for $100 - $179, or get their pro models for around $900 ! YIKES.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I think an appropriate term is "Jump Start battery Pack". Never thought I needed one until just recently. After researching the topic I ended up buying a NOCO GB-40. Partly because of reviews, and also because the size will fit in all my car's storage compartments.

I don't need one for any of my boats. I monitor battery condition continuously so I always know when a battery is ready to be replaced. Recently our brand new car had the battery go dead overnight due to a malfunction of one of the modules in the car. It occurred to me that what if this had happened on vacation? So, now I'll have a backup jump wherever we go. I'll switch to from one car to another depending on which boat we chose to take.

If the same thing happens in the boat, I always have a Kicker to get me back to the ramp, and the battery pack will be in the towcar.

The directions for the unit are to check and recharge monthly. So, there is no excuse for needing it and finding it dead too.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Not on the 2005 115 2 stroke yammie behind my broken down vehicle atm

at the boat ramp too...

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Go back a few posts or so...
there are posts suggesting there could be an emergency type pull cord inside the engine cowell,

Hence my reply....

82rude

Rear Admiral
My gb-40 has started boats,dead trucks in the dead of winter and the charge lasted over a year and a half.My friend has started a diesel in the winter with his (dodge cummins).You can easily check the state of charge of the pack and its easily stored in the car or boat or snowmobile or atv for that matter.Dont buy cheap,buy a gb-40 .

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
I think an appropriate term is "Jump Start battery Pack". Never thought I needed one until just recently. After researching the topic I ended up buying a NOCO GB-40. Partly because of reviews, and also because the size will fit in all my car's storage compartments.

I don't need one for any of my boats. I monitor battery condition continuously so I always know when a battery is ready to be replaced. Recently our brand new car had the battery go dead overnight due to a malfunction of one of the modules in the car. It occurred to me that what if this had happened on vacation? So, now I'll have a backup jump wherever we go. I'll switch to from one car to another depending on which boat we chose to take.

If the same thing happens in the boat, I always have a Kicker to get me back to the ramp, and the battery pack will be in the towcar.

The directions for the unit are to check and recharge monthly. So, there is no excuse for needing it and finding it dead too.

But as you've pointed out with your experience with your brand new car and it's battery one of these new fangled gizmos COULD expire at any time no matter how many times you've checked and recharged it,

simply coz it can
contrary gadgets...

mr 88

Commander
But as you've pointed out with your experience with your brand new car and it's battery one of these new fangled gizmos COULD expire at any time no matter how many times you've checked and recharged it,

simply coz it can
contrary gadgets...

They have been out for years,not new. I would rather have one for a emergency back up,knowing that it will work 99% of the time vs calling seatow,trying to wave down a boat, sitting dead in the water with a storm approaching,etc. There are no guarantees with anything,from brand new cars breaking down, ( see them all the time at the dealerships I call on ) to your fuel pump quitting on you in the middle of no where. I have back up transmissions starter motors,alternators, blower motors,raw water pumps,belts,caps ,thermostats, impellers.and who knows what else for my boats. All of them.COULD break and I chose to be ready so that I am not waiting or searching anytime my boats are in the water.