Tieing knot to EXACT length

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I need a knot for an exact length when loaded to within 1/4-1/2” without the bulk of truckers hitch. I don't want to go with a turn buckle and associated hardware. Imagine hanging an anchor from a celing beam 1\4” off the floor with clean looking rigging. Is there a knot that I could use to dial in the exact length?

alldodge

Staff member
from a celing beam 1\4” off the floor with clean looking rigging

Without getting into the amount of stretch will take place initially and over time; I would need to understand what clean means?

Is the knot to be tied at the anchor after the the bean end is secure, or tie to anchor and then tie to beam?

First thought is a Half or Halyard hitch

harringtondav

Commander
Exact is elusive. When I want to get close I snug the line through an eye and mark the center of the loop with a sharpie. Then I tie, and retie a bowline until the mark ends up in the right spot. You can pull a truck out of the mud with a bowline and easily untie it.

When I need to get tight-tight I use a taut line hitch with a third wrap on the bight/eye side of the knot.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rope will stretch, so that has to be a consideration. It will take a lot of re-tying to get it right and won't be a one time tie.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I don't know if this helps, but there are some great animated knot tying websites. Just do a search.

southkogs

Staff member
Splice an end loop in?

SPLICE2.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant
"exact Length" is a weird concept. The answer would be, measure it and tie. However, are you referring to keeping the line under tension? (As would be the case with a trucker's hitch or a turn-buckle).

Maybe if you simply said what you're attempting to do, it might make it easier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
even pre-stretched dynema stretches. so exact length in rope is +/- a few inches

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
What kind of weight will it support and diameter of the rope. I wrap my moooring lines in a decorative fashion that looks great. I don’t have an image but you’ve seen what a fishing rod eyes wrapping looks like. There’s a number of videos on how to do this. I just do the same thing on my lines. While I wouldn’t use this for my larger boats I’ve had them in use on my 19 footer for many years . Pick a uv protected high strength rope in the color you want makea loop in your main rope and wrap about 8” up keeping it as tight as you can. I’ve also done this in the terminated end of a knot such as a bowlin or otherwise. That would add what ever strength you need and look better than just a knot.