looking at a 2002 crownline 202br

jkust

Rear Admiral
It does. What do you think is a fair price for the boat. It is clean, with matching trailer.

In the winter, all else considered, I would pony up maybe 18k at most and it'd have to show like a brand new boat with zero wear and tear as is not uncommon in norther states where sun damage doesn't occur and only minor upkeep will retain a boat's condition to near new for decades. Just to give you a flavor on my take here, I have two summer homes on lakes, and owns multiple boats and spend almost my whole summer on the water, in and around my boats and other boats and have been boating for 45 years since I was 3 months old. We only have lake boats here.

newboater37

Cadet
I have looked at those, however, they don't really appear to apply in the current boat market. So I prefer real world opinions.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
+1 on jkust's opinion. That is my opinion from western NY.

To get local flavor, see if you can determine if that cost is OK for your area. Maybe just compare selling costs for other same-model boats in your area vs other areas to get a relative feel. Maybe that particular boat has something that makes it so valuable (gold-plating?)

newboater37

Cadet
I offered 10k on the 202, and 18k on the 225. I am sure they feel insulted, but I think like you guys said, these are closer to the retail values.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
"They" went from 14,900 to 10,900 on the 202, and 26,900 was asking $ for a 225? Unless there's something magical about these boats to you - suggest you keep looking

newboater37

Cadet
Yes, are you indicating at 10.900 you think the 202 is still overpriced?
Obviously this a dealer, so prices are going to be more expensive, than private party. There is nothing magical.
But there is not a lot of boats available in my area.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Can the 5.0 merc carb motor, be scanned for the hours, to see if it matches what is on speedo?

Unfortunately no. It will need to be an MPI engine. Even the MPI engines are old by today's (and back in 02 actually) standards, the carb engines are just so ancient.

newboater37

Cadet
Thank you sir. Is there anything to look at visually on this old of mercruiser motor, that are known issues? rust in certain spots etc?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Look for rust between the exhaust elbows and manifold indicative of leaking gasket that could let water in the exhaust ports. Look for signs of cracks on exhaust manifolds and block along sides just above oil pan , and pushed out core plugs, all would be signs of improper winterization. Check oil for milkyness indicative of water intrusion, if at a dealer have them run a compression test about 150 psi is good.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It's an easy one for me. It has an 1800's technology carburetor and not 'modern' smartcraft capable MPI which came out on the 5.0 for model year 2002. They would need to pay me to take it off their hands having gone from a newer carbed boat than that to an MPI engine boat. A carb is a non starter in almost 2019 and MPI is widely available on used boats. MPI is orders of magnitude better than carb whereby the upside of carbs is that people who do their own wrenching, like that they are simple and cheap to fix but many of us pay someone else to maintain our stuff and so the upside of MPI is overwhelming. My MPI has been trouble free since 2002.

Totally agree with this.
I’m not an expert on North American boat values, but going by what I know of it, I would be wanting an MPI at that price. I’ve even seen Baja bowriders with a 5.0 mpi for around and/or less than this.
Once you get to grips with the MPI things that need dealt with and attention paid to...there is no comparison to them and the old tech carb. So much more power, so much better economy and the ability to have pin point accurate real time data displayed on your dash or phone/tablet. All engine data, fuel consumption etc etc.

newboater37

Cadet
I understand your points. I'd prefer a crownline 202, mpi. But the cheapest comparable one I have seen for that from dealers, is in the 16 to 17k range for 2002. And I feel that is ridiculous

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
The best boat in that age and price range is a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck, and an '04 might be had for under 20K. The first boat show around here starts in two weeks, and values start to go back up. For a nice boat, take the NADA and double it. NADA doesn't seem to differentiate between high hour salt water boats and low hour cream puff, stored indoors lake boats.

jkust

Rear Admiral
On your comment of wanting a 202 mpi, there is a demarcation line pricewise of over 20 feet and under 20 feet class (or thereabouts). under 20 feet are cheap and over 20 the prices tend to just be higher. You seem to be straddling the line. I'll say that shopping for used boats can be extremely frustrating and is a game of patience and can extend across multiple seasons.
I've found most sellers are either boaters and not enthusiasts and just don't know up from down and/or they are simply lying or obfuscating.