Trim tabs

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am pondering the install of the trim tabs on my old aluminum boat. Problem is there is really not a straight edge on the transom area on the back. I plan on mounting the tabs as close to the lower unit as possible because that is where the hull is less curved.

Attachments

• photo305635.jpg
    photo305635.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305636.jpg
    photo305636.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305637.jpg
    photo305637.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305638.jpg
    photo305638.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305639.jpg
    photo305639.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Do I want the lower edge of the trim tab even with the bottom of the boat? My concern is that with the rounded edge there will be drag from the tab, I don't want that, the tabs are only going on if there is prop torque otherwise they are just for looks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, do you really need tabs on that Tinny? Normally non hydraulic trim tabs can only help get transom on plane easier. Do you need that?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The only real use would be if there is prop torque and there are some aluminum boats prone to this.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I will assume you are referring to the boat being pushed off vertical, by motor torque. If so, I would think all boats are susceptible to prop torque. However, non hydraulic trim tabs cannot solve that consistently, since the load will tend to shift and the adjustment of the tabs will need to change.

Just my .02....

mr 88

Commander
If it was me ,I would mount them so that the outside edge is almost directly below the outside edge of the wood on the transom, pretty much where the bottom starts to flatten out from the round chine. I would mount them about a 1/4" above the trailing edge of the transom.Once your on a plane the water flow is pretty much coming straight off that edge, the 1/4" keeps the tab from dragging. The further out from the centerline allows the tabs to work more efficiently ,meaning less adjustment in the downward direction and that equals less drag more speed.better fuel mileage , as miniscule as it may be.
I shall dub you rivet eye as the reflection in one picture has your mug reflected with a rivet squarely in your eye socket. Speaking of rivets I would mount the outside edges directly below the 2nd [ horizontal row shown ] rivet from the right of the wood transom plate. Also would use a wood backing plate ,not pressure treated, to reinforce tab.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Any amount of tab in the water will increase drag. Pre-set tabs will level the boat for a given load, and may cause some issues if/when load changes.

I suggest not using tabs in your case.
If you do install, keep the hinge above the bottom of the hull. If they must go higher this only effects the amount of surface area available for use. The less surface area may not be an issue so long as it has enough to change the desired angle.

Other down side to think about. The tabs will be at a fixed slightly down ward angle. If a wave comes up from behind while your sitting still, the wave can push the rear lower then what has happened previously