1987 starcraft islander 19 ' with factory outboard bracket?

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to look at this Islander tomorrow,anybody got any ifo on this setup? Owner says it factory outboard with a1.4 lter omc .

southkogs

Staff member
Make sure you look at the OMC closely - If a Cobra, others will have to give you details. But most will say to avoid it unless you intend to re-power.

If it's a Stringer drive (they stopped making 'em in '86, but maybe it's got a leftover), you want to steer clear unless you're into the idea of caring for a vintage drive. You can't repower without rebuilding your transom.

OMC went out of business in the 90s, and some of the older parts are getting tougher to dig up.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have had zero experience with OMC other than searching for parts for a pal online for ever and can't find any. Many say run don't walk away.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The title says outboard bracket. :confused: But it may be a Seadrive.

What do you want to know? Got a pic or link to an ad? We won't steal it unless you pass on her.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Will take pics tomorrow.Only going by what seller claims. Could be seadrive? Can you explain, were they a factory option?

GA_Boater

No idea if Seadrives were a factory option. They were available in 1987. Seadrives are an OMC motor mounted on a sort of bracket and sold as a single unit. The reason I said Seadrive is back then the Outboards were named by their horsepower ( 90, 115, 235, etc.)and Seadrives were named by the metric displacement (1.8 liter, 2.0 liter, etc.).

Later year Islanders did have an outboard with bracket option.

Write down the HIN or take a picture of it.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys, its sitting in my driveway after driving 2 1/2 hrs to look at it.No idea on condition of motor but couldn 't turn it down.Hull vin is strn9446J485. Pics will follow later today.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Makes it a 1985 Starcraft

pix when you can, esp showing outboard/Seadrive

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok ,thanks to my wife here are some photos

Attachments

• photo305522.jpg
    photo305522.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • photo305523.jpg
    photo305523.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • photo305524.jpg
    photo305524.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

A V5 hull, too.

I guessed right. That is a Seadrive - 1.6l. There are reasonably priced factory manuals on Ebay right now.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shopped and found some manuals,they are in the mail.How many hp. is this 1.6 ltr engine?

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice boat, I've seen one of those with the seadrive here locally too so it's probably stock. Those V5 hulls are pretty rare and desirable, nice find.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah a very rare find, what's the plan for the old Islander?

fetch

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New floors and seats ,check motor out and see if it runs.If not then I will repower maybe i/o not sure.Should make a great boat for Saginaw Bay and the other great lakes!I have to move a bunch of stuff to get it in the shop.Stay tuned.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pretty cool looking rig! Soooo what's the idea behind the big Sea Drive bracket? Never seen anything like it. Cost effective way of keeping the same transom that they could make I/O or outboard? Or did they want the outboard set back for a reason?

Very interesting!

mr 88

Commander
New floors and seats ,check motor out and see if it runs.If not then I will repower maybe i/o not sure.Should make a great boat for Saginaw Bay and the other great lakes!I have to move a bunch of stuff to get it in the shop.Stay tuned.

I would never swap the outboard out with a I/O. Way too much involved for that size boat,, Stringers,engine mounts, controls .gauges, steering, transom cut out, engine box to be fabricated ,loss of deck space , I could go on and on,,, but I hope you get the picture with what I mentioned.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update.... boat is in the shop warming up. I pulled side panels and center section of floor out.Who designed those seat fr
ames?Kinda hard to understand their engineering process.I suppose it had something to do with how high off the deck they are.Small area of delam on port lower corner of transom.Will check further tomorrow

racerone

Supreme Mariner
With the bracket the tilt tube is way up high.----Allows for prop to lifted well out of the water.-----More room in the boat.----Light weight ?-----Same powerhead as the outboard so about 115 HP.

MRS

Commander
I am with mr 88 I just left the i/o world and will never go back. Not worth the troubles to me any more. Love my outboard motor:D