Could someone help me identify this boat. It is a 1973 I believe.

hcpcjj

Cadet
Thinking about purchasing, but owner knows little. I believe it has a 2.5 Mercruiser engine.

Attachments

• photo305082.jpg
    photo305082.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo305083.jpg
    photo305083.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo305084.jpg
    photo305084.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 3

hcpcjj

Cadet
Haven't seen it yet. Owner is out of town and doesn't know the model. I was hoping to do some research before I went and looked at it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

That doesn't look like a Mercruiser out drive. A 73 model will have a HIN number on the upper starboard stern. That will ID the manufacturer and year if it was built in 1972 or later.

hcpcjj

Cadet
Thanks, but I was hoping to figure it out and do some research before I went to look at it.

southkogs

Staff member
That's a OMC Stringer stern drive. If the boat is an '83, then it's likely a mechanical shift. That design was done away with in the mid-80s, and it ... shall we say ... not highly appreciated in the boating community :D Parts are getting harder to find, and the drives can be a little finicky. I like them, but you're going to be your own mechanic, and the drive will want as much attention in the garage as it does on the lake.

Regardless of the hull, consider that buying that boat you're getting into a vintage drive system that's been obsolete for decades. You're going to have to want to take care of it. If you're looking for a 'put it in the water and go' boat (in as much as they ever are) ... this ain't the one.

Welcome aboard.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
No question its a stringer OMC that "nobody" will work on. The hull looks like a Starcraft.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the drive being white is a 1978-1980 OMG stringer. from 1981-1985 they were silver/grey

just because its a OMC stringer, look at other boats. (unless you like working on marginally designed things with minimal parts support where the company went out of business decades ago)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not a good one, NOS parts are almost not available, so most anything you will need will be used or rebuilt and they are not cheap.

THat does look like one of the Starcraft fiberglass models from the 80's, I just can't remember the name right now of the model.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks an awful lot like these in the 1982 brochure;

82v16.PNG

Old Ironmaker

Captain
From dabbling at my buddy's Marine shop I wouldn't spent the fuel and time to look at her. He has 4 old OMC I/O's sitting there that are virtually anchors now.

shrew

Lieutenant
Just looking at the limited pictures, the marine carpeting looks too good in comparison to the marine vinyl.

1) Replacing the marine vinyl alone will probably be more than the value of the boat.

2) On a boat of this vintage, when the carpet is new and the vinyl isn't, there is a very good chance there is rot underfoot.

Plantman54

Recruit
I've had an OMC since 82. Currently going through and system refresh. Have had no problems all these years other than age.Can find parts if you use all available media and marine parts sources. Know of many trusted OMC mechanics. The reference of the "boating community" not liking OMC is false. If you look after them, they're great

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've had an OMC since 82. Currently going through and system refresh. Have had no problems all these years other than age.Can find parts if you use all available media and marine parts sources. Know of many trusted OMC mechanics. The reference of the "boating community" not liking OMC is false. If you look after them, they're great

The "Boating Community" is a very large entity. Some like Fords and some like Chevies, and you'll never get a consensus. Of course, "everybody" knows a Chevy is better.

My first ever ride in an I/O was in an OMC stringer. The guy convinced me it was the best. But when i looked around they were grossly outnumbered by Mercruisers. OMC outboard dealers were even selling Merc I/Os. When I went to buy my first I/O powered boat I ended up with a Mercruiser since the OMC was not offered in that model.

Truth is, OMC never liked it either...LOL. Mercruiser outsold them for years. The only reason they built it was because of patent liability. As soon as Mercs patents expired, OMC discontinued it and brought out the Cobra. IMHO, it was superior to Mercs, but the Boating Community didn't go for it, as evidenced by their low sales volume.

I personally like Pontiacs. But they don't make them either. They always WERE in high demand, but I still can't find parts for a virgin 39 year old classic.

Plantman54

Recruit
I liked Pontiacs as well and where are they now?

When we decided to refresh our OMC, we never considered selling and finding a Merc. I've done my own tune-ups since day one. Other than ball gears, impeller pump and a new transom boot, everything worked fine for all these years. Our refresh as costly as it, is still cheaper than getting a new boat and I love the 3.8. It's been totally reliable. Had it not been for a marina screwing up before winter, we would have just rebuilt that one but we found a younger 3.8 with low hours so we're going with that one. Also rebuilt the trim cylinders. Even had new rubber grommets made. Total bill, about $6,000. As I said cheaper than a new boat and this should do us for another 10-15 years. I would have been happy with a Merc if the boat came with one but it was an OMC and it's been awesome. Our replacement has about 600 hours on it. Rebuilt the carb, distributor, replaced the water and fuel pump, replaced the valve seals, welded a crack in one of the manifolds, new gaskets, paint. Will be awesome.

Attachments

• photo306357.jpg
    photo306357.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo306358.jpg
    photo306358.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo306359.jpg
    photo306359.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo306360.jpg
    photo306360.jpg