New member looking at a SS180

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigNuge

Seaman
Well, it’s in my shop! The boat is in good shape! Floor is firm, cusions and seats are in good shape, carpet is decent, electrical is a bit of a mess, but it all works. Motor turns by hand, but starter bendix is stuck up, so that’s why the gear is all busted up. The Hull is in good shape, with a couple of minor dents. The steering cable is stuck, possibly frozen.

I have all of the gear out of it, and have the fans and heat on in my shop to dry it out. I’ll leave it for a day or two so it can get dried out. Once dry I am going to dig into the steering cable issue (hope I can free it up). I’m also going to look at beginning the cleanup of the wiring.

As seen in the pictures, the trailer is far too small for the boat. It’s so far back that I had to crib up the stern to keep the nose down. The tongue actually wants to lift up when not hooked up to a vehicle. I have the refurb of the new trailer underway. All new LED lighting, all new wiring, new winch. Once the trailer is put together I’m going to transfer the boat onto the new trailer.

Anywho....some pictures of it in the shop after pulling everything off to get it dried out.

**Update**I have to resize all the pictures. Bear with me, I’ll work on getting pictures up as soon as I can.

BigNuge

Seaman
Ok, let’s try this again....

Attachments

• photo305188.jpg
    photo305188.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305189.jpg
    photo305189.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305190.jpg
    photo305190.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305191.jpg
    photo305191.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305192.jpg
    photo305192.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305193.jpg
    photo305193.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ok, let’s try this again....

Good looking new family member you got there!

I will make ya a deal, send me your "don't step on snek" (Don't tread on me) flag and I will send ya a new steering cable!

:lol:

BigNuge

Seaman
Thanks! I’m excited to get to work on it.

There are a few things that need attention over this winter;

1: Steering.
2: Clean up electrical.
3: Starter.
4: OB water pump kit (preventative, I’m told it cools fine).
5: New plugs for motor.
6: New prop, existing is in tough shape.
7: New bilge pump (piece of mind, I’m told it still works).

This list can/will change without notice....lol

Any input on a new prop? I used to run a 4 blade stainless on my last boat (5.7 I/O Merc). It popped out of the water instantaneously, and was great for pulling skiers/tubers. I know this setup is nothing like that, but was thinking of going 4 blade aluminum to optimize performance with heavy loads (lots of people/gear), as well as some light tubing with kids and whatnot.

Thoughts on a 4 blade prop??

Maclin

Admiral
I would wait until you see how it performs as is, hard to figure props out with no baseline for top RPM achieved, Speed at that rpm, etc.

BigNuge

Seaman
I would wait until you see how it performs as is, hard to figure props out with no baseline for top RPM achieved, Speed at that rpm, etc.

OK, will do. The prop is easy enough to change anytime. I was just trying to take it off the list. The existing is in bad shape, so I won't be leaving it on there for long!

BigNuge

Seaman
One last update here, I have started a thread in the Starcraft Section of the forum (as appears to be the normal protocol).

Link...

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
From experience, save yourself the time trying to free up the steering cable. Just buy a new one. Installation is a snap.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Congrats on the new Baby. You have some work ahead of you, if I was 10 years younger and a lot less crippled up and sore I most likely would have jumped on the deal. if I got it for 500 bucks. That plywood at the bow doesn't look dry to me. If it were mine especially since you need to dry it out I would put new stringers, foam, new plywood as well as flooring material. Just because the plywood is fair doesn't mean below it is good. I have seen plenty of boats where the floor doesn't seem mushy but will soon be if left unchecked. I would expect an entire gut job down to aluminum and start from scratch. 30 year old boats are not for those weak of mind and body as well a thick wallet.

By the way welcome to the StarCraft Family of proud boat owners. I have almost the identical boat but a few or more years newer. 95' Superfisherman 190. If it were mine I would turn it into a centre council if and only if the floor has to come out. We did it for a buddy 3 years ago on a 19' Starcraft the same year as yours. He also went from a 90 Merc. to a 150 Evinrude he got at a great price. He also paid 500 bucks for his, no trailer. To let you know he gutted it and by the time it hit the water he had 7 grand CDN in it. The boat is basically new now, or was when I saw it last. Add $63.000.00 for the same boat, new.

Last edited:

BigNuge

Seaman
Well I’ll guarantee that this boat won’t see anywhere near $7k!! I’m $500 into it at this point.

I just put $110 into the new trailer for lighting/winch/coupler.

Boat is going to need $500-750 to clean up and shape up the way I want for this coming year. The total rehab won’t happen till next winter, and I’m estimating <$1k for floors and transom (all done myself). Once is get the new starter I’ll be doing a full assessment of the OB.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, you ended up getting it for $500? That's amazing. I'm jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.