Zodiac 310 cadet solid 10'4

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Being a senior..I'm looking for a replacement motor and was thinking a new mercury 9.9 hp. Being on retirement budget...its says on the spec plate on the zodiac it will take a 20 hp well the 15 and 20 merc weight over 100 lbs..while the 9.9 is 80 some lbs. My question will the 9.9 be ok on my zodiac and will it plane with just me in the boat and will it travel at a fair speed if the wife comes along, hope there is some input..this,
Bryan

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It will certainly plane with just you on the boat. Likely 2 up also with its length.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If I was to add a little more to the post, I might say that it’s worth considering the following
if you’re model of boat is of a certain age or older, the max HP rating will have a 2 stroke engine in mind. Many make the mistake of throwing a new heavy 4 stroke motor at max rating, on the back of 80’s and 90’s boats...then wonder why it handles and reacts terribly or worse...damages the transom.

Having had a few inflatables in the past and currently with various different engines on them, I can say without doubt all of mine were much better in most aspects with a 2 stroke on them. The 4 strokes are much improved these days and their weight has been hugely reduced on the larger models...not so much at the bottom end of the power though. The difference between a good 2 stroke yam/merc 8-15hp compared to a 4 stroke of same power is incredible, in favour of the 2 stroke. Each to their own though and the 4 strokes have their upsides too. Just not for me. Timing belts, lack of torque and weight put me off. Many will agree, hence the reason you will pay more for a late model 2001 model 2 stroke 8hp Yamaha, than you likely would a 5 year old 4 stroke 8hp Yamaha. Or at least in Europe you will anyway.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Being a senior..I'm looking for a replacement motor and was thinking a new mercury 9.9 hp. Being on retirement budget...its says on the spec plate on the zodiac it will take a 20 hp well the 15 and 20 merc weight over 100 lbs..while the 9.9 is 80 some lbs. My question will the 9.9 be ok on my zodiac and will it plane with just me in the boat and will it travel at a fair speed if the wife comes along, hope there is some input..this,
Bryan

Howdy,

I am just about to join you on a retirement budget!

I have a Zodiac Zoom (310 I think) that I got in 2002 and later bought a 2003 81lb Tohatsu 9.8 4-stroke for it and use a bow type 6-gallon fuel tank

It runs very well with the 9.8 and will even plane with 2 (small) people in it. (I think it's rated for 10hp max)

I would suggest a Tohatsu/Nissan engine because they're quite a bit cheaper than Mercury (and if I am not mistaken, the small 4-stroke Mercury's are Tohatsu engines)

Cheers,

Rick

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Would like to thank you to everyone that posted their opinion. My Zodiac is a 2010 and I think I'm going for the new 2019 merc 15 hp. Hope it will serve me well and no problems getting it to plane by myself and also when wifey is with me.
again thks
Bryan

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 15 HP would be much better for 2 up and more. Being a 310 a short SIB wll be easier to plane than a 9.9 Hp. Check Owner's Manual for correct deck weight distribution and proper trim angle adjustment and will have an oustanding water fun time.

Happy Boating

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You will be very happy with the 15 horse Merc. It is essentially a 9.9 tuned to 15 HP. same weight in the 2 strokes. Did you go 2 or 4 stroke? Regardless you will have no problem getting her on plane whatsoever. I am a Merc/Mariner guy. No matter what those Rude EvinRude guys say about them being a 100 pound black anchor. Good choice, enjoy my fellow retiree.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
You will be very happy with the 15 horse Merc. It is essentially a 9.9 tuned to 15 HP. same weight in the 2 strokes.
I thought he indicated he's getting a 2019 15hp Mercury Outboard. Wouldn't that be a 4-stroke? I don't see a Mercury 2-stroke 15hp model available....
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...okicker-99-15/

I think the 15 Mercury is a Tohatsu EFI 4-stroke like this one https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/15_4st.html

Either one is REALLY NICE!! I think the Tohat is only a few hundred less and both are EFI engines....

It's amazing to have EFI in such a small engine....That boat should "fly" with either!