Cover question

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a new to me 19ft sea nymph project that I bought a cover for, and was wondering what you were using to keep the cover elevated to keep the snow off. This boat has an open bow, and nothing in the back except the motor. boat is a model 195 fish and ski. thanks.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Many build frames from PVC pipe or wood for a cover, or secondary cover.

We've also put a trailer-boat between 2 trees with it's mooring cover on, and hung a secondary cover (tarp) over it with steep sides to keep heavy snow loads off - wasn't pretty, but it worked.
IMG_4390.JPG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a card table with a small plastic wastebasket in the rear of the boat under the cover to tent it up and then put two ratcheting straps on it, from the right side of the boat cover to the frame rail opposite and the same from the left side to make it nice and tight across the rear.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a couple 2x4s running down the centerline of the boat under the cover. Seems to be pretty effective at avoiding water pooling on the cover.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
3 upside down 30 gallon trash cans
The make a great place to store the cover when not in use.

mr 88

Commander

We've also put a trailer-boat between 2 trees with it's mooring cover on, and hung a secondary cover (tarp) over it with steep sides to keep heavy snow loads off - wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Your out drive should be stored in the down position . The bellows take a beating when stored as your picture shows , in the up position.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lot of good ideas thanks to everyone that posted. temps here have been below freezing and windy, not the kind of weather I like to work outside, fishing yes, working no. Friday is supposed to be 40 degrees so I'll get something under the cover and lock it up for the winter. Thanks.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Did you convert your powerboat into a sailboat!? :) Seriously though, interesting way to cover it, but I'm guessing you must not get strong winds there. That tarp would be wrapped around my neighbors fence in under a week.

MRS

Commander

I like the can over the outdrive idea :thumb:

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Someplace I saw this thing what amounts to be some nylon webbing that fits over the bow of the boat, a couple pieces run the length of the boat and connect to the transom, and then there were a few pieces of webbing that go to each side of the boat. You tighten all the webbing as tight as you can then you put your cover over that. It's basically a cover support.

It was either West Marine or maybe Cabelas.

But, if you get snow load, you will want some type of support pole(s).

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the pvc structure idea, Eric. My 2x4 method wasn't cutting it (was getting water pooling) so I rigged up something new. I ended up having to crawl into the boat under the cover to install the pvc pipes because they'd fall over if I tried to drag the cover over them. It seems better but I'll see if it stops the pooling.

Attachments

• photo304917.jpg
    photo304917.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo304918.jpg
    photo304918.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like the pvc structure idea, Eric. My 2x4 method wasn't cutting it (was getting water pooling) so I rigged up something new. I ended up having to crawl into the boat under the cover to install the pvc pipes because they'd fall over if I tried to drag the cover over them. It seems better but I'll see if it stops the pooling.

That looks pretty good. If you do experience any pooling, you could cut and install some PVC fitting down the center with a piece of straight PVC tubing to help stop that. Just an idea.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Did you convert your powerboat into a sailboat!? :) Seriously though, interesting way to cover it, but I'm guessing you must not get strong winds there. That tarp would be wrapped around my neighbors fence in under a week.

Full disclosure, we were storing it for the winter this way as it was sold the following spring - it had been replaced. We had that boat since it was new and it was always stored in an unheated carport or garage (with no tarp, just it's mooring cover) at the camp.

We brought it back to WNY to use it a bit and sell it. Yes, strong winds where it was stored i(n that pic), but it had some surrounding trees to break them. We did check it and had to adjust it once. It did work, and just offering it as a quick and dirty option. Not an ideal and/or long term solution

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
That looks pretty good. If you do experience any pooling, you could cut and install some PVC fitting down the center with a piece of straight PVC tubing to help stop that. Just an idea.

Yea I like that idea, it would probably improve the structure so I could drag the cover over it. I didn't glue any of the fittings on so I can make improvements if necessary. I should've got bigger tee fittings for the ends to get a better grip on the inner rail but didn't have time to run back to the store last nite.

We got some pretty hard rains today and it's holding up great. No pooling and I think it gets better ventilation.

​​​

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ended up using some 1x6 lumber one end on the windshield the other at the transom and it work excellent. The front I didn't have anything, but there was a little snow buildup, but not much. Thanks