Storm insurance florida

jerrybrecko

Cadet
i just moved my boat to Florida. The marina told me the are a certified “hurricane safe zone” my insurance company just told me I lost my storm and hurricane insurance since I moved my boat to FL. Who has boat insurance in Florida that has hurricane coverage?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My BIL does. It is very costly to the point of being prohibitive but he is a person that can afford it on his 50 footer, big $$$$. As he said he can't afford not to have it insured. That Marina may be a "hurricane safe zone" what about when you venture out, still hurricane damage insured? Some insurers do not offer water damage for anything including homes on waterfront. (just yesterdays episode of Judge Judy). 1 more season and I get called to the Bar.

ahicks

Captain
I can't imagine venturing out into a hurricane. Not unless you're one of those crazies that want to take a chance riding something like that out while anchored.

It's also tough to understand what is meant by a "hurricane free zone" when you're on the water, even if you are protected from normal weather and waves. I'd be interested in knowing how they protect their clients/marina from a storm surge at high tide? THAT"S when all the serious damage is going to happen.