What's my boat value? (Just in the ballpark)

tks05

Cadet
I have a 1995 22 foot Anger re-powered in 2002 with a Mercury 150 saltwater edition. The transom was replaced and thickened (compared to original) around 2012. I also have a 2017 bunker trailer for it. Does anyone have a rough idea how much the boat's value is, just so i can determine what i'm getting into if I try to sell it?
*Note the boat does have a localized soft spot on the starboard side of the cockpit, but it lies on the fuel tank lid so i think it would be easily repairable.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Really it's whatever a buyer is willing to pay. Look at some ads on Craig's List or other local ads to get an idea.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have a 1995 22 foot Anger re-powered in 2002 with a Mercury 150 saltwater edition. The transom was replaced and thickened (compared to original) around 2012. I also have a 2017 bunker trailer for it. Does anyone have a rough idea how much the boat's value is, just so i can determine what i'm getting into if I try to sell it?
*Note the boat does have a localized soft spot on the starboard side of the cockpit, but it lies on the fuel tank lid so i think it would be easily repairable.

Why do 'we' have to do the searching work while you sit on the couch and drink beer? :noidea:

NADA estimated market value is about $8,940 based on your engine and trailer. Compare that to some local boat Ad listings for same/similar boats.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Why do 'we' have to do the searching work while you sit on the couch and drink beer? :noidea:

NADA estimated market value is about $8,940 based on your engine and trailer. Compare that to some local boat Ad listings for same/similar boats.

In my neighborhood, the "rebuilds" last a lot shorter than the original factory assemblies. Thus, your old 24 year old boat with a 7 year rebuild is worth a lot less than what NADA says. Since you already have rot (tank or not) it won't show very well.

If someone offers you $5K run with it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

Finally someone said what I have wanted to since I joined here. Being a overly polite Canuck I couldn't bring myself to. Thank you, thank you tpenfield, thank you.

To be polite and answer your question (that's what many love to do here) the price is whatever the market where you are will bear. The same boat in a desert without water for miles or a place Alberta where lakes and rivers are rare will not bring as much as places like The Great Lakes, Minnesota or Ontario par exampla. And don't forget answers on the internet are worth whatever the buyer thinks it's worth.

briangcc

Commander
Easy. Go to a marina and ask for the value. They have a book and can look it up for you. They'll have High, Mid, and Low values. With the soft spot and suspect structure I'd put it at the low end of the spectrum, possibly lower.

List it higher if you want a lawn ornament for a while. You might stumble into someone who just "HAS" to have that particular boat and they "might" be willing to pay a premium no matter what the condition is.

Just went through this exercise in 2017 when I traded up for a new boat.

And you're better off offloading it in the spring time when everyone wants a boat but can't afford new. Now is not the time to be selling unless there are other factors at play as most boaters are putting theirs away for the winter.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Is it a center console or a walk around?? A walkaround (more valuable of the 2)if it is a nice clean boat,canvas and cushions are all there and in good condition and turn key it sounds like it would retail in the 8-10k range.canvas and cushions cost thousands so that plays a big part in value.cant say if the transom adds or detracts value.i would lean towards detracting from the value.i spent the past few years looking for the right grady white adventure 208 walk around so i am pretty familiar with what costs what.charlie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Easy. Go to a marina and ask for the value. They have a book and can look it up for you. Now is not the time to be selling unless there are other factors at play as most boaters are putting theirs away for the winter.

The "book" is really worthless. It covers only "average" values. A salt water boat is worth a lot less than a fresh water gem from Minnesota. Regional values are the only criteria.

Also, marina quotes are second to worthless. Maybe if you tell the guy he can take it on consignment and have a big commission he might be willing to work with you. But, many of them frown on giving free advice.

I sold my boat late Summer this year. I knew what the NADA value was because I looked it up myself (fancy that). That info was backed up with weeks of examining local CL data.

I also went to a local marina and offered to have him sell it for me. He wasn't interested because he already had too many used ones on the lot. He quoted me a price and said that's all it was worth. It was HALF the NADA value.

I ended up selling it in 4 days, to the first person that came to look at it, for 3 times NADA and 6 times the dealer price. Of course, my boat was pristeen. I think if it had rot in it and I was concerned about safety I would have donated it to a local MV charity and taken the tax deduction, just for piece of mind.

If you want anything done right, you need to do a lot of R&D.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Angler was a price point boat when new. Don’t surprise me it needed a transom. Built really light. You could flex the hull by pushing on it.

In the end, you have an under powered, 16 yro 2 stroke on a 24 yro hull with a soft spot. The need for new power and a transom rebuild doesn’t speak well for the care of the boat.

Unless the hull is in really good condition, your looking at $5-7k with the trailer

briangcc

Commander
The "book" is really worthless. It covers only "average" values. A salt water boat is worth a lot less than a fresh water gem from Minnesota. Regional values are the only criteria.

Also, marina quotes are second to worthless. Maybe if you tell the guy he can take it on consignment and have a big commission he might be willing to work with you. But, many of them frown on giving free advice.

I sold my boat late Summer this year. I knew what the NADA value was because I looked it up myself (fancy that). That info was backed up with weeks of examining local CL data.

I also went to a local marina and offered to have him sell it for me. He wasn't interested because he already had too many used ones on the lot. He quoted me a price and said that's all it was worth. It was HALF the NADA value.

I ended up selling it in 4 days, to the first person that came to look at it, for 3 times NADA and 6 times the dealer price. Of course, my boat was pristeen. I think if it had rot in it and I was concerned about safety I would have donated it to a local MV charity and taken the tax deduction, just for piece of mind.

If you want anything done right, you need to do a lot of R&D.

Whelp your experience is different than mine. When I traded in my '05 Four Winns the dealer looked up the value and showed me low, middle, and high values. Pretty much matched what was out there at the time. And I know the sins mine held so as far as I'm concerned I came out ahead.

As for the OP, he's got an old boat with soft spots. Good luck.