SEI Aftermarket Lower Units - Good or Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Folks;

I don't know if there is a thread that already discusses this topic or not, but if there is, I can't find it.

Therefore, I would like to open a Forum regarding anyone's experience related to having purchased and used an SEI product, and not just Johnson/Evinrude folks. And yes, there is an ulterioir motive here, I'm trying to decide whether to rebuild my Ocean Pro V-6 lower unit of go Aftermarket.

After purusing other websites, (like anything else) these things are either wonderful or the Devil's spawn.

The SEI is about half the price of rebuilding the OEM, but it does have a 3 year no-fault warranty where the OEM only has one.

I think Iboats sells these things too. So please, let me hear your thoughts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
plenty of threads on the SEI. for the most part, customers are happy, any issues and SEI takes care of the product 9not the labor), your good to go

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I've installed dozens of the merc replacements. Only one warranty issue. Standard water pumps and seals. Customers were perfectly happy.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The only thing I've heard is for certain high output/high horsepower performance outboards, the lower unit may need rebuilt with premium gears or OEM replacement rated for that engine instead of SEI replacement.

This is referring to a lower unit that may install correctly with bigger HP engines and same gear ratio, but the gears are not rated to take the torque/HP for certain power heads.

I would ask this question to SEI if you have a 200 or more HP outboard motor just to be safe.

Last edited:

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
A little different application, but I had a SEI complete out drive on an IO approx 10 years ago. Looked great, operated perfectly. I only had two small complaints. 1) It seemed like the paint chipped rather easily. Maybe they fixed that by now.
2) Again, this is in an IO application, at trolling speed in forward there was a noticeable gear whine. I don't remember who I asked about it, maybe SEI, the answer was that the drive gears did not have as much undercut as the Mercruiser drives. Something about being a patent issue.

Don't know if that was true or false. If I had to I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

wahlejim

Been 10 years since the SEI unit was installed on mine and haven't had any issues, with the exception of cosmetic paint issues. That seems to be the only recurring complaint about them, the paint is not as good. I can re-paint it 2x per year if I wanted to with the money I saved and still come out ahead. I have never heard of any customer complaints that were not resolved in an urgent and satisfactory manner by SEI. It is a no brainer for me.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3 years on mine for my 130 Yamaha, the only issue was the water pump not being tightened down, allowing it to suck air around the base when on step.

G

Thank You Guys.

I thnk I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on one. I'll be painting it white to match my motor once I get through the break in and have no issues.

I found mote than one source to rebuild my my OEM gearcase, but even THEY said the can't compete with the 3 year Warranty and price, and recommended the SEI. Looks like I'll e taking taking the plunge.

wahlejim

I think you made an excellent choice Erich, keep us updated on the process so anyone searching the forum can see how it turns out

Triton man

Recruit
I just installed one on my outboard quite and smooth sounding just following break in its kind of strange i had it rebuilt along time ago by a certified omc tech ive known great tech i ask about break in he said drive it lasted alot of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.