Best Anode for Aluminum Power Tilt

emarshbuck

Seaman
Not sure if this is the right forum...feel free to move to appropriate place.

I have a Panther aftermarket PTT which had a lot of corrosion after only 2 years. It's aluminum. I've cleaned it, will prime with zinc chromate, then probably spray with automotive undercoat. The powder coating has almost totally flaked off. It was installed w/o an anode. It is also not grounded.

Panther wants $26 bucks for an anode. West Marine has them for $12-15. Question is should I go with a zinc type or aluminum type. Do I also need to ground it to the engine block? Is there a better cover paint over the primer than automotive undercoat?

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
The type of "zinc" depends on two things
Does the boat stay in the water
What kind of water

If the boat does not stay in the water and connected to shore power it does not need them.

If it does stay in the water need to know what kind of water

Last and most important, don't mention other places to buy items other then iboats on this forum. If the other forum has a forum, then use their name there and ask the question

emarshbuck

Seaman
Oh, good point about using names here....I've searched iBoats for anodes and found both zinc and aluminum. The boat is used in salt water, and is only in the water at most for an overnight at our marina, and usually pulled out after 4-6 hours during a day trip. When it is in the water overnight it is not connected to power. It's a small 12 Boss Pilot.

Attachments

• photo302767.jpg
    photo302767.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
In this case you don't need anodes, and for salt I would suggest aluminum

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Your corrosion is most likely from disimilar metals being connected.You can try to rubber gasket some of the connections to isoplate where the 2 metals are in contact.An annode could not hurt and may prevent some corrosion.You must use a less noble anode(weaker metal) than the metal you are protecting.I would do a zinc and an aluminum annode if your corrosion is that bad and it happened relatively fast.Charlie