MMSI reset question and HX870 tips/questions

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,
I sold my boat and don't need my Standard Horizon HX870. I am trying to sell it. I didn't realize resetting an MMSI was such a pain. However, it appears Standard Horizon says you can do that if you have the right firmware version.

First question: What is the reason they make MMSI removal so difficult? It appears this model is one of very few that allows you to do a reset.

Second question: Standard Horizon called and said we don't have the right firmware to reset the device remotely, so now I must send it in. Has anyone ever updated their own firmware on this? Seems possible with the right software. Anyone know of any other tips vs. sending this back to them? Local stores?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Normally the radio would stay on the vessel, which would keep the MMSI no matter who owns the boat. They don't want anybody changing MMSI numbers on vessels and breaking the law and then changing it again.
Most models make it difficult. You might get one change out of it, then you have to send it back in or have a certified technician with the software do it.
Local stores wont be able to do it.
but..

Unfortunately you need the same software to update the firmware to also change/remove the MMSI
Your best bet would be to take it to a local Marine Electronics company and have them remove it. Shouldn't cost too much, should only take 5-10 mins max.

I have removed/changed/entered MMSI's a lot, so it would not be a big deal for them to do it.