winter cover on top of morring covers?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
My mooring covers are moldy and falling apart. I'd like to take the winter to repair them and clean them up. I normally put the winter cover on top of the mooring covers for structural support. Any thoughts or advice? Also, if there a service that inexpensively refreshes mooring covers?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
How old is that mooring cover? Sounds like the old "Spending good money after bad." To me you describe a lost cause. I have a 23 year old mooring cover made of Sunbrella I was told. Good shape with a few patches. The previous owner actually ordered a few yards of matching colour for the StarCraft and my wife has added a few patches over the years. I treat it every 2 years to keep it waterproof and take it every year to the car wash and give her a good cleaning. Call a local marine canvas or awning business for a price to repair and as well the price to replace. You may be surprised a new cover may not be much more than saving a basket case. Inexpensive and Marine don't belong in the same sentence. I'm sorry but don't get the cover over cover for support. Good luck.

Johnny D.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
First I think the cover over cover is a bad idea. Moisture from condensation is going to get between the two covers and will make for an excellent place for mold to grow and rot to happen. I also agree with the above, if your covers are falling apart they most likely aren’t salvageable. Get new ones and then take good care of them by cleaning them periodically and treating them with water proofing.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
thanks both- the covers are probably 18 years old. they are intact except for the Velcro which is all falling apart. I recently re-waterproofed them. I think they are fine with a good washing and new Velcro. I will get a quote, good idea. Also will take them off and build a structure of sorts for the winter cover. thx.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Also, if you put a winter cover (plastic tarp?) over your mooring cover and wind gets in between the two, you will rub holes into the mooring cover at the sharp edges of the deck, etc.

harringtondav

Commander
I'm with those recommending a replacement vs. repair. A good cover is worth every penny. I'm convinced most structural rot comes from a leaky, or no cover. I shake my head each time I see a nice looking boat stored in the open, wide open.

I keep my boat outside in the winter in IA. I do use woven plastic tarp over the mooring cover secured w/bungees. I have snap-in vents in the mooring cover, and place PVC 'J' tubes over the gunwales just in front of the rear seat backs for extra ventilation.

Heavy snow build up is a yearly problem. So I have three lines stretched from the bow cleat over the windshield. One center, two going to the corner rear cleats. I use my throwable and towels to keep the lines from biting into the sundeck. Then four adjustable tent poles. Three in the cockpit, one on center in the open bow. Dryer sheets scattered to keep the mice out.

No problems with mold in the spring, after 22 springs.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Lasy tear was the 1st time I covered my mooring cover with a tarp because I couldn't move the boat to get it shrinkwrapped. No real problem. One of the poles did pop through a grommet and left a hole that was easily replaced with a patch and new grommet. Not much mold can develop in freezing temps is my experience.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I like the idea of tarping over mooring cover.Snow slides off a blue tarp way before it is going to come off of a mooring cover.They are making some pretty thin blue tarps though.I would opt for the "next step up" in quality and get a better tarp.