Boat Info is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good to have a source of reference material back again.

Just remember boatinfo has a long history of ups and downs. Currently up, but for how long? Keep this in mind.

ahicks

Captain
When/if somebody does figure out how to download manuals, there's several I'd love to have!

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When/if somebody does figure out how to download manuals, there's several I'd love to have!

I used the 'Print to pdf' method on boatinfo to get sections of a manual and then combined the sections into one file.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I was unsuccessful gettin any info to come up on that sight .. Is there a trick ?

GA_Boater

Second icon from the top left is for manuals. Click it and the manufacturers appear on the left side.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used the 'Print to pdf' method on boatinfo to get sections of a manual and then combined the sections into one file.

You can do a max of 50 pages at a time with the Print to PDF method. So if the manual has 500 pages, that's 10 operations. Just keep track of the pages while you do it and name the sections something like "251-300" to make it easier to combine them later. Each section is a bit slow.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seems I have to download flash player 9 to view the library ..

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good to hear. I will have to try the print to pdf trick for my most used manuals.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Be aware that Boatinfo doesnt likely have a copyright license for these manuals.

And has a history of crashing and being offline for months

Mass downloads of pdf manuals could trigger another outage, or being taken offline for copyright infringement.

Its hosted by an individual, and as fair as I know, wholly funded by him, and most host sites do limit bandwidth, another possible problem of mass downloads.

I'd suggest buying a manual if you want the entire manual, rather then taking what someone else is essentially 'paying' to provide you for free.

At least find and use what you NEED and leave the rest. I suspect it was never intended as a source to provide entire manuals, hence no provision or ability to download them directly.....

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Norway only protect copyrights of this type of material for 15 years after the date of the last revision. After that it becomes public domain or protected under "moral" rights (non-economic). That would be 2003. These are all older than that.

Now if Mercury Marine were to issue a newer revision version of that particular publication, that would be different. But they normally have just issued a completely new one.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Norway only protect copyrights of this type of material for 15 years after the date of the last revision. After that it becomes public domain or protected under "moral" rights (non-economic). That would be 2003. These are all older than that.

Now if Mercury Marine were to issue a newer revision version of that particular publication, that would be different. But they normally have just issued a completely new one.

This is the bottom of Manual #1;

Click image for larger version  Name:	norway.PNG Views:	1 Size:	20.7 KB ID:	10682359

Norway copyright is trumped by US copyright laws.
How long does a copyright last?

For works published after 1977, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. However, if the work is a work for hire (that is, the work is done in the course of employment or has been specifically commissioned) or is published anonymously or under a pseudonym, the copyright lasts between 95 and 120 years, depending on the date the work is published.

So 1986 + 95 years or 120 years means you can legally download and print after 2081 or 2106.

Status
Not open for further replies.