How bad will this turn out?

harringtondav

Commander
Last week I helped my bud winterize his 42' Bluewater Coastal Cruiser. The marina took care of the rest.....until yesterday. Apparently a fork truck bumped into a jack stand, or the boat itself. The marina is bringing in their insurance assessor.

Anyone care to compile a damage report guess?

Tom's tip over 1.jpgTom's tip over 3.jpgTom's tip over 2.jpg Friend is worried about hull damage that may total the boat. An insurance settlement on a 1989 boat won't come close to getting him back with this family friendly, party friendly, completely sound craft.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No real way to know until the boat is surveyed and the adjuster looks at it, 42' is a different animal and I am sure there may be unseen damage that will need to be addressed to figure it out.

Good luck.

alldodge

Staff member
I would be more concerned with the rudder shafts and that spot on the hull. If it hit hard enough it could have cracked the hull, but they takes some sanding, layers of glass and repaint.

If the rudder shaft was driven up hard enough, it would bend the shafts, supports and transom

Just a quick look and not knowing the shape of the boat, but look around 50K for value

Edit: just noticed prop shaft and support

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
Who in the hell blocked it ? Supposed to be blocked under the keel ,THEN you put the boat stands on the sides to stabilize the hull,not support it. My guess at minimum is Rudders and the inside rudder housing towers. At least one prop shaft and prop,I would demand 2 new shafts and new props.It didn't fall far so it may just be cosmetic gel coat/glass work needed where it landed. Trim tabs could be bent and who knows what the boat stand did that's cocked against the hull. As noted YOU should hire the surveyor ,not the marina, and they reimburse you for his fee.

mr 88

Commander
And if it was blocked correctly with 4 stands if one got kicked out for whatever reason the hull would not end up on the ground,it would remain in a stationary position ,upright.

roffey

Commander
A friend of mine damaged his 32 foot Carver. He bent both drive shafts, totaled both props and rudders (wrong side of markers, ouch) His cost to fix was 12k.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The boat owner should get his insurance involved and put in a claim. Let the the two insurance companies battle.

harringtondav

Commander
mr 88 I've watched them block it for 9 yrs now. They drop lightly on the four side stands (no screw tightening), and wedge in blocks under the keel in at least two locations, and loosen the slings. My friend-owner and I think the 'knocking out a stand' story is a little stinky. I'm guessing someone backed into it from the port stern side and toppled it over.

I was thinking the same, AllDodge It looks like the starboard side stand may still be taking a little weight - maybe. Most of that 20K+lb. boat is resting on the rudders, prop(s), etc like you note. I straightened his port rudder shaft once, and helped reinstall it. We removed the pivot/packing flange to reseal, etc. I don't recall enough structure under it to take that much weight. Interesting about your $50K est. My bud came up with the same.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've watched them block it for 9 yrs now. They drop lightly on the four side stands (no screw tightening), and wedge in blocks under the keel in at least two locations, and loosen the slings.

No. First you set the keel with 3-4 sets of blocking depending on size of the boat, making sure you get the correct angle for draining. Level port to stb. Add stands, snug up, loosen slings a bit, double check stands for tightness. Remove slings.

mr 88

Commander
Didn't see the undersized block in the bow area. until I blew up the picture , which are not the best for determining what went wrong. IMHO the best way to block a boat is to drop it down on the blocks first,then put at least 2 screw jacks in the stern area then 2 amidships. Then you put slight pressure on each jack,moving from one to the other,untill even pressure is applied. A level placed on the stern gunwale sure helps in making sure it's level..Then you remove the sling..Maybe they have been doing it wrong for 9 years and finally it bit them and your bud in the ***.

harringtondav

Commander
I've watched them block it for 9 yrs now.
No. First you set the keel with 3-4 sets of blocking depending on size of the boat, making sure you get the correct angle for draining. Level port to stb. Add stands, snug up, loosen slings a bit, double check stands for tightness. Remove slings.

No argument from me. It's my pal's problem. And also maybe other customers at this marina. Their blocking seems to hold, unless someone side swipes a blocked boat. They sling in and out about 40-50 big boats/yr. If this Miss. river marina is causing structural damage, it seems to go unnoticed. They have a wait list for slips. Seller's market.

Most owners toss the keys to the marina and say "see you next spring". My bud and I do his winterizing and spring prep and drive the thing into and out of the slings. After that, you expect the marina knows what they're doing. Or not.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
props, prop shafts, struts, rudders and maybe hull damage...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
40- 50? We do around 200, big and small. Trying to get done sometime next week.

WIN_20151019_12_36_15_Pro.jpg

harringtondav

Commander
Grub54891 Just curious, if you're willing. My pal pays around $1K/yr for two travel hoist trips, blocking and storage. Miss. river in Dubuque IA. Another $3600 for a 50' covered slip with elect. and cable extra. Tends to round up to $5K.

How do these prices compare to your marina? And where is it?
Thanks,
Dave

Also, I may have been light on the number of pulls they do. I counted 40' + boats. They use the slings on anything that won't fit on a trailer. 100-125 total, including boats from marinas that don't have a large enough hoist.