Transom Leak

Smerkan

Cadet
Hmmm.... drive lifted to full tilt then lowered onto a block of wood. More than a credit card width gap at the bottom of the transom. I am guessing this is not supposed to happen :/

Attachments

• photo304458.jpg
    photo304458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Is it possible the boat took on some water over the bow/stern/sides when beached and no one was watching?s I hope so.

Smerkan

Cadet
I wish. Took on at least a couple hundred litres whilst on edge of the beach as in photo in a very calm bay whilst I was having a coffee. Has done it now twice in this position and never at any other time. Enough water to drown the starter and just go over the floor of the boat.The best I could hope for is a couple of loose bolts that I cant access without taking the motor out, worst case and probable case is soft transom as others are suggesting.

Smerkan

Cadet
Fixed, bolts through transom left loose after the mechanic had serviced it! ( yes,he removed engine for the service just before I took over ownership of the boat) Very difficult to access but eventually able to get to them with a cut off spanner without engine removal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You do know that to pull the motor, you do not even touch the transom bolts....

You pull the drive and you unbolt the mounts, however do not need to touch the transom bolts

If they were loose, must likely your transom is rotten

bigdee

Commander
If they were loose, must likely your transom is rotten

Yup your probably going to have to tighten them again,and again. I fixed a soft transom by removing the transom bolts and drilling down the center of the bolts and cross-drilling the area that would be inside transom. I then put zerk fittings on the ends of the bolts and used a grease gun to force resin into the rotted wood.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yup your probably going to have to tighten them again,and again. I fixed a soft transom by removing the transom bolts and drilling down the center of the bolts and cross-drilling the area that would be inside transom. I then put zerk fittings on the ends of the bolts and used a grease gun to force resin into the rotted wood.
Uumm… That is not a proper repair. The entire transom undergone a lot of stress. The rotted areas around the keyhole are going to crack/fail.

bigdee

Commander
Uumm… That is not a proper repair. The entire transom undergone a lot of stress. The rotted areas around the keyhole are going to crack/fail.

Yes your correct and I did not suggest it was. This was done in 2004 and I was anxious to get boat back in the water. It was supposed to have been a temporary fix until I could replace transom during the off season. Long story, I never got around to replacing transom and 14 years later it is still water tight!! This is a 18' Glassport w/130 Mercruiser.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
As much as I don't want to admit it, I did a very similar repair in the past. Lots of 2 epoxy injected into the transom. The boat was still going strong 10 years after the repair until I sold it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Fixed, bolts through transom left loose after the mechanic had serviced it! ( yes,he removed engine for the service just before I took over ownership of the boat) Very difficult to access but eventually able to get to them with a cut off spanner without engine removal.

I don’t think this makes any sense... if the engine was pulled, why would he loosen (or even touch) the bolts that hold the transom assembly? Those bolts have nothing to do with pulling the engine. If that is what he told you, I would be concerned he is not being truthful with you. Unless there is more to the story, what he’s told you doesn’t add up.