Inboard muffler problem

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Starboard Muffler.jpg OK you guys, I'm at my wits end here. I have a Chris Craft 251 Catalina that developed a water leak in the rear starboard muffler from old age and rotted cast iron. I'm gonna replace both mufflers with SS tube. I have the hose clamps off the muffler but can't seem to budge the hoses off. I sprayed PB blaster in there + WD-40 and tried to hammer a screwdriver in around the hose. There is very little space to work as you can see. I even tried one mans suggestion to try to break the cast iron where the hose connects but only put holes in the muffler. Do you think I'm gonna have to go in there with a cut off wheel to cut the hose off both ends of the muffler or any other suggestions I'm open to. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Has the motor end of the hose been removed?
Has the bracket holding the muffler been removed?

If yes to both, can the muffler be twisted to break the other side loose?

Maybe a heat gun

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well, you can try to get a robust hose pic between the hose and muffler, but at this point, the hoses are likely no good also.
I'm get after it with a cut off wheel, Sawzall, or whatever it takes. You will be replacing the hoses anyway.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If you can grip the hose and get it to turn on the muffler that will break all the rust holding it on, free. Then you can try heating the hose up with a heat gun to expand it before attempting to pull it off. Otherwise trash the hose and cut it off with a dremel or multi purpose oscillating tool.

Last edited:

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes front hose and bracket are both removed but when we twist the muffler we're just twisting the rear hose. That's the problem, If I could only separate the rear I could just remove the muffler and front hose together and put new hose up there. Even though there aren't any fumes down there, don't forget the cut off wheel is gonna spark when it cuts through the hose with the wire in it

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Cut the hose top to bottom with a Sawzall, if it don't cut the wire, snip them with a sidecutter. No sparks.

alldodge

Staff member
Keep the blowers running or run a small fan to keep fumes if any from building up

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Unless it reeks of fuel down there(which it shouldn't) you should be fine. A spark in a bilge isn't gonna cause an explosion in the bilge of a boat with a properly functioning fuel system. Not that I'd try it, but you get my point. An oscillating multi tool should effortlessly & gently cut the exhaust hose without making a spark if you can get it in there. They work great for removing wood/fiberglass in old rotted out Glastron Carlsons.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cut the hoses, your going to be replacing them anyway

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Every one of you guys have a great answer that I know would work. Now to get some thin little guy to go down there and do it. Thanks for all the input. I may have to wait till spring now to finish it as the marina wants to shrink wrap it Monday.