Garmin Find - Is it mine?

Bassn7

Seaman
I find a sunken john boat in 8 feet of water using my Garmin Echomap fish locator. Motor and possible gear there. Is it mine to keep?

alldodge

Staff member
This isn't high seas so check with your local law enforcement. Never know what you found may be from an insurance claim, robbery or other crime. Not saying you won't get it, but need to check. Look/ask about salvage boat laws in your area

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just depends on your laws, around here normally you report and turn into law enforcement and if not claimed in a certain amount of time, they award you the item/items you found.

alldodge

Staff member
Just thought of something, you could place a lean on the boat (in case you want it after getting it up). The lean would be your cost in bringing it up and getting it to where it can be determined if you get to keep it. Some salvage and mechanics there cost can be quite high. SO if you get it up and want it, list a cost for salvage, otherwise maybe re-sink and just let folks know about it :D

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Someone owned and registered it, seems to me it would be a major pita to sort through all that and get it in your name with no bill of sale or anything not to mention what it would take just to get it up.

Engine has been submerged for who knows how long, really doubtful you could resurrect it, don't know that it would be worth the hassle.

Maybe you like a major challenge but I would pass I think.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That’s some sounder you have there then, haha. What colour is the Jon boat ? What pitch is the prop on the engine đŸ˜‚

ahicks

Captain
We ran into something similar a few years ago. We called the local sheriff's office who wanted to claim it as theirs. We said wait a minute, who's going to reimburse us for the trouble to recover the boat and trailer it to your offices? That question was met with silence. Then we asked about placing a mechanic's lien - which led us down the path to claim the boat as our own. Takes time and paperwork, but it wasn't expensive at all and we did end up with a title to the boat.

I am about 99% sure the sheriff's office, if we had delivered the boat to them as originally requested, would have auctioned the boat off at their annual auction, and we would have received nothing, not even a thank you.....

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found a '77 blue band 7.5hp Merc in our park when I was walking the dog. I called it in and asked about it a month later. I got it. It was a salty,the gearcase was seized. I then purchased a rough running parts motor. Between the two I was able to make one runner. I used the purchased serial #

My felling was the one I found was "stolen" after they realized it was seized. It was never reported.

RichBenson68

Recruit
I'd definitely check with the authorities, just to know you're covered..

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Not an everyday thing someone sinks a boat and its resting place is unknown. May have been lost in a storm I guess.