Tarp vs Shrink Wrap - Opinions, which should I do this year

boater535

Cadet
Hey guys, I was wondering what do you guys prefer, paying someone yearly to do the shrink wrap for winter storage or are you the kind of person that uses a bunch of tarps and bungee cord?? Deciding this year if i should shrink wrap or use a bunch of tarps? Would like to do the tarp method and bungee cords, but afraid of heavy snowfall? Opinions and thoughts greatly appreciated!! Also, I am from MICHIGAN so we do get heavy snowfalls here and there!! Thanks in advance!!!!

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the Northeast and we have some years where the snow is heavy, so I shrink wrap. I invested in a shrink wrap gun so I just do the work myself. Guys I know just tarp their boats and are fine though. The last thing I want to be doing is messing around with a collapsed tarp during a snowstorm in the dead of winter, so I shrink wrap.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I'm with Enginesilo. I'm from upstate NY and invested in a shrink wrap gun. I buy rolls of wrap online (usually 17' X 120') for about $150. Gets me 4 years of wrapping my boat.

Tarps can work, but you still have to frame it up with posts and nylon bands to bear the weight of snow. The other issue I've seen a lot with tarps is wind issues. First, its not nearly as tight as wrap, so the wind can whip it up and possibly tear the tarp. Also, a good amount of wind over the winter and you may unwrap the boat in the spring and have it covered in blue (or whatever color your tarp may be) flakes. Can be a real pain to clean up!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You can cover it with a boat cover or tarp, then build an "A" frame with a steep angle covered with a large or multiple tarps. The snow and rain will just slide off due to the steep angle.
The end pieces would be shaped like an A with a brace from leg to leg. Then one long piece between the top of the A pieces. Use a tarp large enough where you can put heavy rocks or bricks to keep it from lifting off the ground from the wind.
You can save it and use it every year.

mr 88

Commander
I use HD tarps ,I think 14mil thick and put older worn out ones underneath to absorb sharper points and serve as a liner for the top tarp. I bungee the heck out of it snugly, not to the point where the eyes want to give out. I also leave a small opening in the bow and stern so that it breaths,no condensation. I then open the bow hatch a bit and the portholes for air movement. The steeper the pitch the better . I also take some 3/16 or 1/4 line and criss cross it over the tarp as the last step,helps keep the wind from getting under the tarp and tearing it up. Going on 4 years with the tarp that I paid 125.00 for.

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you tarp it you need to consider the critters that can get in and do some damage.

mr 88

Commander
Critters get in a shrink wrap just as easy. Bud had a 34' shrink wrapped and some "critters " ripped his galley to shreds. There are few things to slow thst down,from anti static sheets to traps.,Google or search.it out on this site. Clean boat out for starters

jkust

Rear Admiral
In order to not have to store any of my boats or equipment outside, I actually bought the neighbors house with outbuildings. Then I just use the house as a guest house when people visit our lake. (since you asked what kind of person as I won't store anything outside.) That said, as I'm in MN and we can get heavy snow that doesn't melt, I've seen many a tarp system fail while the boat sits unattended for the season. Rarely do I see a wrapped boat fail. If it were me, and for some reason I didn't have indoor storage, I'd have it wrapped.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ive been using the navigloo system for years now.Live in Sault ste Marie Ontario so we get plenty of heavy snow and storms .Its held up great .http://www.navigloo.com/ it just went through a heavy rain and wind storm (60mph plus winds ) with flying colors.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Ive been using the navigloo system for years now.Live in Sault ste Marie Ontario so we get plenty of heavy snow and storms .Its held up great .http://www.navigloo.com/ it just went through a heavy rain and wind storm (60mph plus winds ) with flying colors.

That's the 7 Series of tarp systems....nice.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have used a tarp for years. I made a frame from 2x4's that runs from the engine cover to the windshield that is just as tall as the windshield. I then run another 2x4 off this frame to the bow and one to the stern with 6 1x3 pieces branching to the sides. The tarp goes over the whole deal, a rope goes through the tarp grommets and pulled tight and then tied down to the trailer.
It is pretty tight and a few years back I had 2 feet of snow sitting on it that I did remove but it was fine. The wind doesn't bother it either.
Last year I had a major issue though, a racoon squeezed under the bow and ripped up my seats.

I know a guy with a much bigger boat than mine and he has it shrink wrapped and in the Spring he cuts it off carefully so he can use it again the next year. He gets 2 years out of 1 wrapping.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Tarped the boat for years. Never any issues except he time Comcast sent the three stooges to run the cable from the curb to the house....

For years in used a 14 mil tarp, tarp clips and bungees for year round storage.

The tarp clips allowed me to form fit the tarp to the boat. Actually fit better than the trailerable cover I bought years back. Took 5 minutes to install and remove. Never had any issues with mice.

Bought a place with a large equipment shed to house the boat. The first three years mice got in the boat and chewed on the insulation of my MFD. Not happy but no real damage.

The boat is on a roller trailer. Has to be 5 feet from floor to top of gunnel. How the heck did mice get in? No way they’re climbing 3ft of vertical Fiberglas.

Turns out they where using the gunnel strap for a ladder. Removed the strap before storing and the problem went away.

Now if I could keep the wrens from trying to build nests in my overhead storage boxes very Spring.

ahicks

Captain
SE Mich
We have a hard top on our 'toon which presents it's own set of issues. The top will hold it's own when it comes to snow loads but I don't trust it to support tarp. We're currently on the 2 year plan with shrink wrap covers. If it were not for that, I'd go with a PVC frame supporting tarps. .

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been doing the tarp method for 10 + years.
It's a bit tedious, but done right it's maintenance free all winter and very secure. I generally go 3-4 years with a tarp before I purchase a new one.
I like that it's reusable and I can cover/ wrap much more than Shrink Wrap usually covers. It works for me.

Attachments

• photo303245.jpg
    photo303245.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303246.jpg
    photo303246.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 0

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have done both shrink-wrap and A-frame with tarp.The a-frame w tarp needed to be higher than a shrink-wrap job to get the proper pitch for snow to slide OFF rather than get caught up on the bow rails.There was always an issue with the tarp chaffing thru the frame .High winds were always an issue.Ripped grommets etc...always something.Shrinkwrap is the way to go.Done correctly and removed correctly it can be reused as a custom fit cover for at least another season.I install a zipper door for easy access and to change and drain the damp-dry containers.Shrinkwrap job needs to be done on a completely dry boat and should be vented to avoid comdensation under the shrink-wrap.Charlie.

I used to tarp when I kept it outside. As others did, I built a wooden horse for the inside to create the pitch for our Minnesota snowfalls. I actually put the storage cover on first with a large, thick tarp over the top of that strapped tightly. Everyone once in a while, I would go out with my snowbrush from the truck and knock off the snow. Never had any problems.

Now I rent a neighbor's garage for $150 and it stays uncovered all winter but indoors. If I were to go back to storing outside, I would likely just buy the wrap gun.

Neither is a bad choice. The real key is doing either job with quality materials and doing it correctly. Both can fail if you cheat on time or material.