1998 Four Winns Vista Bilge

mort5029

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All

I have 1998 Four Winns Vista 258. I recently replaced the bilge pump in the compartment just in front of the aft cabin. The one I put in, Atwood, I know it is used to pump out water from the shower drain etc.. My question is , there is a forward bilge pump switch on the cabin wall. I turn it on and there is no results. I have read that the forward bilge may have been an option on this boat. Is that correct? Or am I missing something. I have attached the picture of the compartment (trying to upload). If anyone can explain what the white pump in the glass case is and what it does and where if any is the forward bilge.

Just a note the area where the pump is , is bone dry.

Finally the new bilge pump I installed for shower water is not powering up. I think it may be the fuse, I also read the fuse is in the engine compartment with the rear bilge. Again any help would be great locating the fuse and explain the above bilge questions.

Todd

mr 88

Commander
A test light goes a long way with your issue. If you just replaced the old pump and wired it up correctly then it should turn on when you lift the flapper mechanism . If it a self contained float then if you turn the pump upside down it should turn on. The switch on the console should be used for over riding the auto feature. Sometimes the fuses get somewhat corroded from sitting in place and have to be rotated to get then working again or there blown. Again a test light will tell you where you have power and where there is a break in the circuit. Follow the wires to there source,they should be color coded or slightly tug on one while some one is at the other end of the wire to identify the correct wires. The forward bilge is the shower bilge in most cases.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Finally the new bilge pump I installed for shower water is not powering up.

I not sure what you installed but it isn't the pump for your shower. That's the pump in the glass case. On my 250 Sundancer it's live all the time, and activates with a flapper switch. No switch at the helm or in the cuddy. I believe even with the battery switch off it is still live like the blige pump at the stern under the engine.

For reference the shower pump is under the first stair in my boat as you enter the cuddy from the cockpit. Lift of the stair, remove the wastebasket and it is directly underneath. I suspect it would act as a second bilge pump if the boat took on enough water.

mort5029

Seaman Apprentice
OK here it is ....... I am pretty sure the new white atwood does pump out my shower water as I ran it and there was water after....I could be wrong however....any help on this setup would be great.

Attachments

• bilge.jpg
    bilge.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 2

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I am pretty sure the new white atwood does pump out my shower water as I ran it and there was water after....

The water from the shower is designed to run into the Atwood shower sump. I suspect the hose from the drain fitting in the head floor to the shower sump is disconnected. Or there could be some other problem.