Bilge pump question

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On my 1983 Chris Craft 251 Catalina, I have a 1000gph pump in the through hull rudder area near the transom, and another 1000gph pump between the hull and the right side main stringer that the fuel tank sits on.both on float switches always hot.
My question is, my boat may sit at the dock 3-4 days and when I manually turn on the pumps which I always do when taking it out there is no water being pumped out. If I go out for an hour or more and get back to my dock and turn on the pumps it will pump water out for about 8 seconds.. Seems like it accumulates water while underway.
Could this water be coming from a leaking seacock valve maybe or from a drip-less shaft seal which is water cooled? The pump in the rear never pumps out any water , eliminating the rudder packing leaking. What do you guys think is going on. Thanks-Russ

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be water coming out of the motor when under way as well.

time to get in the bilge and look when the boat is under way.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Sometimes they are hard to find. You could try to close any seacocks you don't need while under way. Sink drains, head, ac valves and such. If the leak goes away, you have a starting point. Any boat can leak at the rub rail area also from water splashing up there,