Freshwater and saltwater in Savannah, ga

Bamaloudmouth

Recruit
First timer here. I am in the market for my first boat. I grew up freshwater fishing mostly rivers and a few lakes in Alabama on bass boats. I have never done any inshore fishing. I now live in Savannah and want a fish and ski type boat that is conducive to family outings as well as dedicated fishing outings ,both inshore salt water and freshwater, mainly the Ogeechee and Savannah rivers, with the occasional destination fishing trip to some nearby lakes. Please, if anyone can help me by pointing me in the right direction. Must have bow seating. And must be large enough for 5 people. During family trips it will mainly be me, the wife, and our three year old. During fishing trips, it will be me and possibly another angler and will need to fulfill its duties as a serious fishing boat. I am open to aluminum and fiberglass. Just concerned with learning to navigate in difficult/choppy waters on the inter coastal waterway. Thanks in advance for the help!

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Based on your description, my suggestion is that you do a web search on dual console boats. Sort of like the typical bow rider configuration you're used to seeing pulled around on trailers, but this will be designed more for off shore use and likely run by outboard.

Bamaloudmouth

Recruit
Southcogs. I did some searching last night and came up with a few bow riders mainly the chaparral h20 19 fish and ski. At the price seams like it fits the bill pretty well. Any huge advantage to glass boat over aluminum

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would avoid buying the cheap boats in your area for a while. many were sunk in the hurricane.

southkogs

Staff member
I did some searching last night and came up with a few bow riders mainly the chaparral h20 19 fish and ski. At the price seams like it fits the bill pretty well.
A quick look at that boat concerns me for the "inshore" part of your description. It just doesn't seem like a good boat for rougher water. I've been on a 19' Hurricane in the inter-coastal and it was fine on the waterway, but when you got into a more open area (large bay) you could feel the size and style start to "meet it's league."

I've also been out on the Gulf of Mexico in a 19' Center Console. Same size boat, but the design style made it much more accommodating to the rougher water. (Deadrise, bow rake, etc.) Not so much that the ride was more comfortable, but rather that you could tell the boat was designed to deal with that bigger water. A dual console is the same kind of design, but with some of the seating and space issues you mentioned.

l_Gradywhite_Tournament_225_2007_AI-228742_II-11128810.jpg

As an added bonus, the floor isn't carpet. MUCH easier to clean up after a big day fishing.

Any huge advantage to glass boat over aluminum
IMHO - no. There are some things that each construction is better at than the other, but I believe it's really more about what suits you and what you're doing. Aluminum boats are killer for low maintenance, and economic weight (good power to weight ratios). When you add salt into the mix though, the potential for corrosion is higher. Fiberglass boats are heavier, easier to mold into a good hydro-dynamic shape (go through the water a little more efficiently) and easier to fight off corrosion - especially if the guts (stringers, transom, etc.) are not wood.

If you weren't looking at going out on the big water at all, the fish and ski would be a decent option (I'm a trailer boat / keep it in the garage size - guy). But getting out in the ocean, I like a little more boat under me than that.

And don't miss Scott's point ... you're gonna' have a lot of beaten up hulls for cheap in your area for a while.

08stingray

Recruit
I would steer away from aluminum. Our work boat is aluminum and it's a pain to keep clean after riding in the salt water. If your on Facebook I would suggest doing some searches on Facebook Marketplace there are a lot of used boats for sale. I think lot depends on your budget and see what you can find in that price range. I just picked up my Stingray 185ls mostly for cruising with my family. I currently don't do any fishing but think I might want to try it sometime.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Look at a Lund Tyee, , 18 - 20' range. It's an all around boat, great for cruising, it has live well(s) and bait well for fishing, will take rough water no problem, and is comfortable to cruise in all day if you want. They come with a vinyl floor and snap in carpet either comes with it or you can order it if you want' carpet for your feet if your just out cruising.

It's an aluminum boat by the way.