B.O.A.T - aka, The Cost of Boat Ownership

southkogs

Staff member
I get where you're coming from Jim. I've been around boats most all of my life, and while there's always some expense we've been able to keep it relatively light.

While I like my bigger boats, the truth is I've probably got more time in an old 14' fiberglass rowboat with an Evinrude 9.9 on it than any of the others we've had. I've been all over in that little boat, and it's dirt cheap to own and run.

I do get to lookin' from time to time, especially when down on the coast. I think how nice it would be, but then I do the math.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My kayaks cost next to nothing once purchased but the power boat is expensive. Citing $805/ year in running costs is an outlier. Insurance, taxes/ registration, gas, storage (not everyone can fit the boat in the garage or leave it in the yard), maintenance/ repairs (even if you do stuff yourself you have to buy parts and supplies) all add up quickly. In a really cheap year the power boat will cost me about $1,500 but most years are in the $2,500 ball park. I've had the boat for 11 years now.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I

While I like my bigger boats, the truth is I've probably got more time in an old 14' fiberglass rowboat with an Evinrude 9.9 on it than any of the others we've had. I've been all over in that little boat, and it's dirt cheap to own and run.

Our waverunners are smaller than kayaks and certainly smaller than 14 foot boats as well and they get magnitudes of order more use than our 24 foot boat. The cost of ownership on one of those besides the purchase price, trailer and boat lift is an oil change each year and a lot of gas and 4 spark plugs every couple years. I can't believe how bulletproof the Yamaha SC engines are. You just have to be ready for the onslaught of gas usage.

End of the day, an overwhelming majority of people don't have means and live on borrowed money and make payments on their new equipment and don't have the money saved for them to use the rational that they's rather use someone else's money and keep their invested. Paradoxically, you need cash to buy used stuff but can be cash poor and have everything new. I see this everywhere.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
OK, I'll bite. Just looked at my expenses categorized as "boat" in my records--$12,500 since purchase in 5/09. That includes cost of boat ($3400, not bad, even with a 470!), parts (all repairs done by me), new interior ($2-3k), and expenses for my skiff, probably the purchase price of some kayaks, water toys, dinghies, but not including gas, registration (cheap), and I have no insurance. This year I've spent just south of $500 on maintenance and repairs. And I use the crap out of the boat. Average day is 30 miles, and I would guess I'm out at least 40 days/year. I drink less beer when I'm on the boat, and usually my guests will pick up the lunch tab when we're out...so I got that going for me as well. No storage fees, $60/year for ramp access 1/2 mile from my house. Not really much of an expense in the grand scheme of my life. As far as being a time suck...different story.