Huricane Florance

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read a story about a man that intends to stay with his boat at a Marina in Wilmington S.C during the storm. Why on earth would he not have the marina pull it out of the water?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It was just on the news. He has rode out a couple other storms, and said he would just swim to shore if it's bad enough. In the water, anchored properly, it would be safer than being on shore where the wind could tip it over. I know staying onboard isn't a good idea, but some people think they are invincible. I think the storm surge is going to take care of this one......

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might make sense to pull it out of the water and trailer it away... I can't imagine the boat or guy will fare well in the face of that storm.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few tried to out-boat Irma a year ago. never to be seen again.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Might make sense to pull it out of the water and trailer it away... I can't imagine the boat or guy will fare well in the face of that storm.

Maybe he doesn't have a trailer, nor a vehicle big enough to pull it, nor enough money to get the job done. Whatever the reason, thinking he could swim to shore means he has no one close to him that can give him good advice.

I know it doesn't sound good, but I pray he lives to tell his story.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
JimS... I agree with you. There are a number of reasons why the boat couldn't be pulled... and his decision to ride it out aboard isn't safe. Hope it ends well but it's going to be a rough night.

A number of years ago my oldest was living in Grassy Key, Florida. With a hurricane bearing down she assured me she was bugging out. But ultimately she waited too long and couldn't get out. Luckily for her the storm went north and the storm surge didn't wash her away.

Ned L

Commander
Growing up we spent a couple of hurricanes on the boat. However,...... They were only slight category one hurricanes.
The first one was unintentional. .... 1974 we were crossing Long Island sound from Mystic CT to Long Island (heading back home to NJ to end our vacation). The hurricane moved up the coast much faster than NOAA predicted when we found our selves in the middle of Long Island sound with things starting to get really sloppy. Long Island sound can get real nasty with very short steep seas. (Our family boat was a 1950, 46 ft twin diesel Chris Craft.).
My dad and brother took turns at the wheel and it got to the point where the boat wouldn’t steer with the rudders so they were using the throttles to steer. (My brother is two years older than me. He was 16, me 14.)
I can still picture the burgee on top of the bow rail (6-7 feet above the waterline) disappearing into the green water and waiting for it to come back up again.... a bit un-nerving. Our biggest concern was the windows in the trunk cabin blowing in under the water. And that was before it arrived. We went into Port Jefferson on Long Island where we anchored for the night ( two anchors out, a 35 lb Danforth and a 27 lb Danforth.). ....Now Port Jeff is a big harbor with some reasonably high land surrounding it so we were somewhat protected in the lee of the shore. When we got up the next morning there were a number of boats on the beach, a couple overturned and sunk and some store front windows blown out in town. That time was obviously unintentional.
The next time was about 1977. A small hurricane was heading toward the Jersey shore. My dad, brother and I did take the boat out and stayed aboard. The river we were on in NJ is actually known for having the highest ground right on the coast of any place between Maine and Florida. The routine there is to anchor right up against the shore under the lee of the high ground. We were up to about 1:30 am when things started diminishing, at times we used the engines to take some of the strain off the anchor line. There was a big old heavy sailboat anchored in front of us and when the wind caught the top of her masts she would heel over pretty well under bare poles.
Mind you, both those times were small barely Cat one hurricanes with maybe 3-5 ft tide surges.
A hurricane like Florence?????? No way in hell!!! They had there chance with numerous days notice to move the boats to the best place they could find, or to move up or down the coast. The idea of swimming off??? They might just as well stay aboard and go with the boat.

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
My wife's best friend's daughter is down in Norfolk VA. Hubby, and I use that term very loosely, is US Navy. Navy sent out photos of their base flooding and mentioned that if you didn't need to be there, don't. Husband is on shore duty and they're staying put with their 2 year old daughter as "I'll be fine". Uh huh...what happens when you loose power (no cable, no fans, no a/c, no fridge, no stove, no lights, and no cell when it dies)??

I don't wish it on anyone but sometimes a lesson needs to be learned...

Maclin

Admiral
My wife's best friend's daughter is down in Norfolk VA. Hubby, and I use that term very loosely, is US Navy. Navy sent out photos of their base flooding and mentioned that if you didn't need to be there, don't. Husband is on shore duty and they're staying put with their 2 year old daughter as "I'll be fine". Uh huh...what happens when you loose power (no cable, no fans, no a/c, no fridge, no stove, no lights, and no cell when it dies)??

I don't wish it on anyone but sometimes a lesson needs to be learned...

He did not do the math for the aftermath.

briangcc

Commander
They're both in their 20's and know everything. No amount of family changed their minds so...hopefully doesn't happen but if it does I truly hope they learn from it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In the Navy he has to follow orders and if the orders are to stay, well he stays. Now she and the kid can go to a safer place anytime.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Uh huh...what happens when you loose power (no cable, no fans, no a/c, no fridge, no stove, no lights, and no cell when it dies)??.
high water and no power is part of coastal life....been that, done that.

BTW, the tackle shops are open on Hatteras Island. Fishing is pretty decent the day after a storm.....lol