What do you know about Web-Cor hull construction? Bell Boy / Sabre Craft boats

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I'm looking at a fiberglass 1972 Sabre Craft boat with a webcor constructed hull. I can't find much info on this construction method used on Bell Boy and Saber Craft boats, but what I do know is that the stringers are made of open cell foam and fiberglass. This is attractive to me because there is no wood to rot, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other experience or information on these hulls.

I've read that the open cell foam will absorb and hold water if it gets wet, but is this a problem? I guess it would increase the weight of the boat a bit. Can that cause structural damage? Is there any way to dry it out without cutting fiberglass?
​​​​​​
I guess what I'm really trying to understand is if this type of stringer is really better than wood or if I'd just be trading one set of problems for others. Thanks for any help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This is attractive to me because there is no wood to rot,

transom is still wood

I've read that the open cell foam will absorb and hold water if it gets wet, but is this a problem? I guess it would increase the weight of the boat a bit. Can that cause structural damage? Is there any way to dry it out without cutting fiberglass?
​​​​​​

Yes. Yes, may leach to your transom, No

​​​​​ I guess what I'm really trying to understand is if this type of stringer is really better than wood or if I'd just be trading one set of problems for others. Thanks for any help

no better or worse. Its a 47 year old boat with a 15 year design life. its going to need work somewhere.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if this will help you much but there is a dedicated facebook page for bell boy boats,

has some info but not a lot
US and Oz boats

I don't have a bell boy
my main interest is the profile pic,
a very nice boat that has been done up,

and is parked next to what is now known as " Errol Flynn " beach at Battery Point, Hobart, in Tasmania
where old Errol was born and spent his younger years,

so, hopefully you get some info re bell boy boats

As well as the useless trival pursuit knowledge above

mr 88

Commander
Actually there is a way to dry out your foam [ if its water logged ] without cutting up the glass. Google....Methods for drying out cored hulls.... There are quite a few post/topics on this. May be cost prohibitive for your setup ,,or not.