1971 21' chieftain starcraft on lake Michigain

Lonecat

Cadet
I have a 21' 1971 chieftain with a 90hp
4 Cyl. 2.5
and im wondering do you think it would be suitable for a great lake like lake Michigan? I have ran it on smaller lakes but not anything near lake Michigan, any personal experience out there?

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Lake Michigan can kick your butt into next week if you aren't watching weather conditions REALLY CLOSELY! Makes little difference 18' or 28'. There isn't a boat made that will handle a lake that size under all conditions. You can't even say most conditions. You HAVE to keep a keen eye on what's going on at any given time, with an ear on the weather forecast.

oldrem

Commander
That lake can go from dead calm to scary bad in minutes. With a 21ft I'd stay close to the harbor. USCG small craft warnings on LM mean anything under 40ft

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It's all about conditions, on any lake but more so on the Great Lakes. Conditions can change at the drop of a hat. Never before have we had so much weather and water conditions at our finger tips as we have now with the electronics today. A smart phone can save your life. A 45 foot sailboat went down a few weeks ago near us, luck and pure luck no one was killed. Moored in a small bay on Erie and a storm kicked up in the middle of the night. The waves crashing on our new breakwall woke me. It was like glass a few hours before when I went to bed. I had to tell our new neighbours this year to make sure their camp fires are well dowsed and stuff they don't want blown away battened down before retiring for the night. One AM they woke to find their plastic patio table and chairs floating 150' out in the lake. They believe me now.

Be careful and smart and you will be fine. Smart as in that old boat is sea worthy.

1000 ton Ore Freighters have gone down here. The bottom of these lakes are littered with big ships let alone pleasure craft.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You can take any boat out there if the wind direction and conditions are right.

And then there are days you can't take a 40'er on that pond.

We used to go out 3-6 miles from Milwaukee in a 17' Whaler.
4am with a little to no breeze out of the west.
Back by 8am before the wind picked up.

Personally, I don't like the swells on the big lake, unless I'm in something big and heavy.