Is this anti freeze good for plumbing and engine?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
air dont freeze

simply change oil/filter and drain block/heads/manifolds/hoses, and gear oil and you are winterized

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I used -60C antifreeze for the drain traps in our Ontario cabin, but I'd wouldn't bother using it with a boat. Just drain the block etc., and you're good for the winter. No need for antifreeze if you drain everything. Using antifreeze - especially improperly using antifreeze - is recipe for a cracked engine block.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I don't agree. After draining my MerCruiser 4.3LX, I always had a small amount of water in the block, manifolds and PS cooler. I introduced straight automotive A-F thru the hoses and pushed that water out. When I saw green stuff, I installed the plug and filled the block with straight A-F.

Since you are in the Great White North, it likely gets colder than the NE US. I would look for an A-F that protests against cold best, at full strength. The stuff I used was most effective at 50/50, but since I feared residual water in the engine, I went with undiluted.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
and on volvos make sure you pull the drain plug from under the thermostat housing on the front of the intake manifold

oldjeep

Admiral
The antifreeze you found is fine for engines. Opinions vary, but I fully drain and then refill with antifreeze for the corrosion protection.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Gee, I don't agree. After draining my MerCruiser 4.3LX, I always had a small amount of water in the block, manifolds and PS cooler. I introduced straight automotive A-F thru the hoses and pushed that water out. When I saw green stuff, I installed the plug and filled the block with straight A-F.

Since you are in the Great White North, it likely gets colder than the NE US. I would look for an A-F that protests against cold best, at full strength. The stuff I used was most effective at 50/50, but since I feared residual water in the engine, I went with undiluted.

You should not be using automotive type antifreeze!!!!!
It's highly poisonous! I thought this was common knowledge...

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Also, please understand the environmental considerations if using "auto AF". Suggest you compare and understand main ingredient of RV vs auto AF. As with most things, there are trade-offs - suggest you understand them, then make your decision

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
In the spring I drained and saved the A-F for the following year. I thought that was common knowledge.

Reactions: KJM

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
air dont freeze

simply change oil/filter and drain block/heads/manifolds/hoses, and gear oil and you are winterized

Yes, but I'm afraid of some residual water pockets here and there.
I will use antifreeze but since it may get diluted by those residual water pockets, I will search for the lowest degree available.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Thanks for the tip, I will check for that plug.

There wont be an intake manifold plug on the 5.7, only the 4.3. Just the two block and two exhaust manifold plugs. Plus you need to drain the raw water pump and hoses. Also check for power steering cooler drain, you may not have one.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
On my 5.7 VP, I even pull the rubber boots off the rear of the riser/manifolds as there can be water pooling back there. I get a lot out when I do that, even after pulling the brass drain plugs.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There wont be an intake manifold plug on the 5.7, only the 4.3. Just the two block and two exhaust manifold plugs. Plus you need to drain the raw water pump and hoses. Also check for power steering cooler drain, you may not have one.

check the stickies. Don S posted a volvo TSB listing the 4.3, 5.0 and 5.7 when they added the drain plug

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes, but I'm afraid of some residual water pockets here and there.
I will use antifreeze but since it may get diluted by those residual water pockets, I will search for the lowest degree available.

if you drain it properly, any minute amount of water left will be too little to cause damage.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I also live in Canada but further north in Edmonton,AB . And I've been using that same stuff from CT for the last 4 years and never had any problems. Also that drain on the front of the manifold only applies if your engine is carbed , fuel injected engines don't have that drain

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you merely drain it, and by some oddity it freezes and does damage, Houston you got a problem.

If you add antifreeze, at worst you might spend a few extra pennies and a few extra minutes.

Are you feeling lucky?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If filling with AF helps you sleep at night go for it. I did use Plumbers anti freeze up to a few years ago here in southern Ontario. When I saw pink I killed the engine. Even if you have a bit of residual water there wouldn't be enough to freeze and crack a block, so I'm told. I have 2 outboards not I/O's that have more nooks and cranny's.