Ski boat project..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odog

Cadet
Hey there crew

I'm new to the site and have just finished my first small boat re store 1984 chapperal 162 bow rider had fun learned a lot.. May be some things the hard way lol but I'm up to do it again.. here's the thing.. I'm still new..

I like the look of the super sidewimder.. have seen a few fibertron that look neat and glastron are pretty cool and bajas but what would be some to steer away from or maybe go towards?? Going to try and find cheap full restore boat I'm looking for a winter project and just want some in site on maybe model to stay away from.. looking to use it for tubing and ski boat at cottage and going fast lol
thanks a hard of time for and feed back

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

if your going to do a full restoration, including hull restore, interior, as well as motor/drive. doesnt matter what you get, you could even get a bayliner

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, but Bayliners don't look cool like a sidewinder.

All kidding aside, performance boats like Sidewinder, Checkmate, etc, are built a lot stronger than runabouts like Bayliner. When you rebuild, you will want that strength. I would recommend you stick with a performance boat, so you can copy the original structure with new (non-rotted) materials. if you try to upgrade a runabout, you will need to "engineer in" new strength, which may not be possible.

Odog

Cadet
Yeah for sure I want to go with a performance boat to start no engineering run about frankenstien build lol. just one that needs some TLC.

I like the sidewinder.. I have heard things about haul designs just wondering are most those boat the same 50-65 mph boats? I know engine plays a large part in that but I've heard talk about putting Matt's or pads on boats to stabilize at speed.. and haul makes huge difference I believe most the sidewinder are a v haul?

It's hard to find info on any of those type of boats and what ones were really sketchy or what ones you can have a good time in and not die lol

I'm willing to put the time into a fun boat and I enjoy rebuilding them so far lol just want to put effort into something worth it..

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes, but Bayliners don't look cool like a sidewinder.

All kidding aside, performance boats like Sidewinder, Checkmate, etc, are built a lot stronger than runabouts like Bayliner. When you rebuild, you will want that strength. I would recommend you stick with a performance boat, so you can copy the original structure with new (non-rotted) materials. if you try to upgrade a runabout, you will need to "engineer in" new strength, which may not be possible.

I was tongue in cheek with they bayliner comment. just pointing out that the OP can get into anything being the thread is search for a project

Yeah for sure I want to go with a performance boat to start no engineering run about frankenstien build lol. just one that needs some TLC.

I like the sidewinder.. I have heard things about haul designs just wondering are most those boat the same 50-65 mph boats? I know engine plays a large part in that but I've heard talk about putting Matt's or pads on boats to stabilize at speed.. and haul makes huge difference I believe most the sidewinder are a v haul?

It's hard to find info on any of those type of boats and what ones were really sketchy or what ones you can have a good time in and not die lol

I'm willing to put the time into a fun boat and I enjoy rebuilding them so far lol just want to put effort into something worth it..

I owned a Hydrostream ventur for a short time, however the boat needed more work than I could afford to do and was offered more than I paid.

sidewinders and hydrostreams (and later X-stream) are all in the go-fast low creature comfort category that dont do chop. plenty of Hydrostreams hitting triple digits....al on the raged edge of sanity

when you have to back off the throttle by 25% to get enough boat in the water to be able to steer, yes, its a bit sketchy...

as the years go by, I tend to lean toward a boat that handles inclement weather and can go reasonably fast and has the creature comfort that the ladys like

the older SeaRay Pachanga 22's are a reasonably fast single motor boat (nearly 68mph stock, low 80's with a bit of engine work) with some creature comforts and the 27 is a nice twin boat setup..

Baja's were slow until there was hull design help from Reggie Fountain.

then there are boats like Formula, Donzi, etc.

either way, what ever you pick, post some pics so we can ride along....

Odog

Cadet
I owned a Hydrostream ventur for a short time, however the boat needed more work than I could afford to do and was offered more than I paid.

sidewinders and hydrostreams (and later X-stream) are all in the go-fast low creature comfort category that dont do chop. plenty of Hydrostreams hitting triple digits....al on the raged edge of sanity

when you have to back off the throttle by 25% to get enough boat in the water to be able to steer, yes, its a bit sketchy...

as the years go by, I tend to lean toward a boat that handles inclement weather and can go reasonably fast and has the creature comfort that the ladys like

the older SeaRay Pachanga 22's are a reasonably fast single motor boat (nearly 68mph stock, low 80's with a bit of engine work) with some creature comforts and the 27 is a nice twin boat setup..

Baja's were slow until there was hull design help from Reggie Fountain.

thanks that's the kinda experience info I was kinda digging for..

Yeah not building for comfort lol just want a fun speed boat to tug a tube around and letter her dangle on the lake the odd time lol won't be a every day boat but a dam fun one lol

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I still ski behind my bud's Switzercraft.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To point out the obvious, tubes are pulled at low speeds, say 15-25MPH. Some speed boats (like my Avenger) simply cannot go that speed. It is either high idle speed or 30MPH+, but nothing in between, when propped for high speed.

It is very easy to hit 35 MPH+ when coming out of the hole, before you can throttle back, at least on my boat. Do you want to know how many tubes I destroyed due to excessive speed?

Anyway...FWIW

Odog

Cadet
Yeah for sure not looking to tube at 50mph.. Lol but when there is no tube to be pulled and say I want to go out on a little poker run or something just to **** around I still want to go fast lol I'm going to look at a 16 foot sidewinder super on Thursday.. not sure if the super is really any different or if they all were supers lol but will see Thursday if I found the project

Odog

Cadet
Ok crew i found the winter project.. 1980 sidewinder super.. I'm pretty excited to get I to it.. looks all original and nothing really has been messed with.. anyone have a good book or site to read over for transom rebuild tips. ??

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180914_093208.jpg
    20180914_093208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180914_093220.jpg
    20180914_093220.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

briangcc

Commander
Nice project. Head into the Restoration section of this forum and you'll find countless examples of what you're in for. Read WOG's links as well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cool project !
Read the stickies over in the restoration section to start .. Then as suggested start a thread over there .. Lots of good folks with plenty of good knowledge to help if needed !

Odog

Cadet
On its portable cradle for the winter soon to be in the shop.. can't wait to really get at this..

Attachments

• photo302992.jpg
    photo302992.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
suggest you make a restoration thread in the restoration section.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What kind of power are you planning. A 115HP motor would push her very nice.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
+1 on starting a restoration thread and post a link here. I would love to follow along for the ride.

joebeadg

Cadet
that's the exact same boat as my 73' Tahiti torino I had back in the day. I loved that boat. I had a 100 merc on it, there were guys with 150's on them and also V8 engines with Berkley jets

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed

Odog hasnt been back simce Oct 2018, well past the 90day rule

Status
Not open for further replies.