How many member here own multiple boats?

vetplus40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have recently considered buying a second boat. I really cannot justify it, but I have been wanting another boat to go along with our bowrider. The boat in question is a Malibu Wakesetter boat that I have become very fond of. I dont wakeboard, but I love the looks and the roominess .And, i have never owned an inboard before and wouldnt mind having one.The family loves the bowrider so I wont trade it in. Financing isn't an issue, but I'm also a bit practicle in my purchasing decisions.
That said, I thought that I would just make a friendly inquiry to see how many folks may actually own more than one boat suitable for family use........Thanks

roffey

Commander
I have a 20 foot stingray with an I/O and a 14 foot tin with a 9.5.

Personally I think if you don't wake surf I would stay away from the wake boat. Someone correct me but wake boats performance is not great, gas mileage sucks and there is no advantage over a bow rider other than wake surfing...

tpenfield

Staff member
Many folks list their boats in their signatures. I would think it is a fairly high percentage of the 400,000 + members who own or have owned multiple boats.

I own 4 boats currently.

dwco5051

Commander
Only two now but I have owned up to 7 at a time. I remember years ago my wife telling me that I have six boats, six dogs, and one wife which totals 13. Remember that number and consider it a constant.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Lets see... 1979 Leisure island 21 foot pontoon, fully restored, 1985 Larson175 bowrider I/o, undergoing restoration, 1983 Chapperall 175 bowrider I/o, using till the Larson is done,A wood 1960's 16 ft wood boat Outboard, will be restored when the Larson is done, And the 17' Smokercraft, Need to get the outboard running again so it can be sold. Oh yeah, the 12 foot duck boat.....I should downsize, but they are like family, Nice to have around, sometimes a pain in the but....lol

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
1994 aquasport 225 fishing 1994 crownline I/o mercruiser bow rider for skiing and tubing with grandkids.--4 jet skis.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 3. A 1989 Wellcraft 18 sport, a 2009 Lowe A1667, and a 1997 Tracker V16 that stays at our cabin in Minnesota. Also a canoe and a kayak, though those don't really count.

I say if you can afford it, you have the room, and you really think you're going to use it, go for it.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
1980 Sea Ray SRV 200 restored 10 years ago, 1991 Riviera Cruiser 25 foot pontoon, 1997 Sea Doo GSX, 2001 Kawasaki zxi 1100

I think you will find that the newer inboard boats are very spacious and will overtake your bowrider as your family boat. With all of the new ballasts, you can customize the ride to your liking. The main difference from an i/o is that they are not forgiving at all if you hit an underwater obstruction. Fuel use difference depends on how you drive it, if you fill the ballasts at all, etc

jkust

Rear Admiral
I only have waverunners in addition to my main boat at my lake home. On my lake then, most folks have at least two boats if not four or five and sometimes more. Generally a bowrider, a wakeboat with Centurion being common, a tritoon or pontoon, a fishing boat and then generally many will have the standard two waverunners on lifts. Our summers are 90 days and so as you can imagine each of the boats gets very limited usage. Our PWC's get far, far more use than our main boat. Having only one boat is definitely the exception.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Yep, MBS here too.

Small cruiser for nearer to home (upper Niagara River (actually an isthmus), Lake Erie, Erie Canal, etc) and up at lake in the Adirondacks an inboard ski boat, aluminum fishing/commuting boat w/OB, old aluminum row boat, small sail boat, 2 canoes, kayak

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
4 at the moment.

Pontoon, Alumacraft runabout (restoration project), 14' fishing Jon (probably getting stripped and sold), 14' Semi V (getting sold).

SDSeville

Lieutenant
2 -- one for the ocean and a more easily trailerable one for the lakes.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have 3 boats right now to round out my needs.

Big lakes and river fishing.

y4m9GOZEr-2q0rctpr_6XmeDDWzdB99BwYHDjp5RE5nD3vSlWGOQunQCpgmiK6kck2MnMPSrtlZkSSEeV5RMMHCFD2g9P9h9VFMsX7-vxHmEETRs0sGMaenJSsHmwSog-1AA-l-csxEtfDya3kDstZTHLWyv2RD2A6ZKH_kNqd34wFcJhYNkfiGiv_bNQ5JQblnbFs2Y5cVDezqGFqXvT-Iig
For cruising only.

y4mdHToqn-3LFKZIFimJm9xsKvrRrRyy85PwzE10YHuMJQSJGrZkox7c_4BGxoycbf9slPjJKNRk2iBtlq7YpFim2kbl6mbByrDEPTv_9PdB6jSVHJ5DuWbPtGUMowv3IRg9rOsw3wVkZN0L0fd2g8-BlPIKW5lsUYD_rk51eScmF7dMnDvTvvbvS4grSk3WqfUO0W7m1qeISEjUW4Q_Qc2kg

For fishing small lakes and ponds a new to me 14'r that will be restored.

y4mOmsmnfMFHf593mDHIdRnE2ldxPOUsDeE2ruwWvm_-b4t1uEOdc7cI45MYiayGg-JmArWBhXxiHRzaidlnPMRyduedCJbAyTTslHAOxDYAApeRJ-hHGW6Wi_-n8sPKvCdXBRpM_CBPMr3ukj5Rjq1MvgMt7qG0iUFzlSGZzxuD7l0awhukDTbYWzJesTfue4eTnooiG3FPyoyxz-kNVvU4A

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I currently have 4, just sold one the other day, I have a

1967 Mirrocraft,
1973 Starcraft Super Sport
1992 Western Aluminum 14 foot Utility
2002 14 Foot Porta Boat

I sold the 62 Seaking the other day, and don't ask me about outboards, cause right now, I honestly don't know!

At times I have had up to 8 of them sitting around the property, I buy boats, strip them and then sell the trailers and cut the boats up and throw them in the dump.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got several Feather Crafts and a few Alumacrafts. OK, maybe a half dozen of each. Two Lone Stars and a 1951 Duracraft.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
1954 Alumacraft Deep C, 1957 Alumacraft Flying D, 1974 Arksas Travler Lark, 2002 Alumacraft 1448 jon boat. The Lark is about to meet the saws all.

ahicks

Captain
We currently have 2 pontoon boats. 1 we dock at the summer house in SE Mich, and the second is kept at our FL (winter home) near the Gulf Coast. That one is trailered.

I would just like to know if you've had a chance to drive a straight inboard? Docking and maneuvering in close places can be a real treat with much in the way of current or wind. There's a definite knack to it that some struggle with/really never catch on to.

vetplus40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live on a small lake where multiple boats (with the exception of small john boats) are a rarity. Single slips are hard enough to come by and obtaining two would be next to impossible. Every now nd then, I meet somebody with a family boat and an older hot rod jet boat as a toy, but that is about it.

vetplus40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 20 foot stingray with an I/O and a 14 foot tin with a 9.5.

Personally I think if you don't wake surf I would stay away from the wake boat. Someone correct me but wake boats performance is not great, gas mileage sucks and there is no advantage over a bow rider other than wake surfing...

Sometimes you simply like what you like and there are a couple of advantages in a wakeboard boat over an I/O. First, they are very roomy. Second, with an inboard, the prop is not exposed. This is nice if you have kids who inherently like jumping off the back of the boat.

That said, they are disadvantages too. I compare it to buying a Corvette over a Buick sedan. A Buick being far more practical, but missing a certain "wow" factor. Wakeboard boats have always had a "wow" factor for me.

vetplus40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 3. A 1989 Wellcraft 18 sport, a 2009 Lowe A1667, and a 1997 Tracker V16 that stays at our cabin in Minnesota. Also a canoe and a kayak, though those don't really count.

I say if you can afford it, you have the room, and you really think you're going to use it, go for it.

"Room" is an issue. My boat(s) will sit outside during the winter. Not real crazy about that.