How much should I be paying for a 1976 Seaswirl 15' boat?

Hey guys,
It's my first time posting on here and I would like to get your honest opinion. I've been looking to buy an affordable reliable first boat. I have my eye on a 1976 Seaswirl 15' with original Johnson 85 hp motor. The body has a few chips nickle size that reveal the fiberglass (I don't know if that's to be worried about). The inside is in good shape. In your opinion what would be a good price to pay for this boat?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Too little info to even make a guess. Location, condition, condition and most importantly condition, determine how much to pay.

It's 42 years old, so it shouldn't be a big ding. What is the asking price and do you have a link to an online ad so we can see it?

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

My guess is about $2,500-$3,000 if everything is in good condition

$2k or less if in fair condition.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depends on many variables, including where you live.

Agreed, not enough information

However assuming normal wear and tear with a good maintenance and care history......

Northern WI, maybe $800 in good shape, East or West coast maybe $2000 in good shape

However if the hull is waterlogged or plagued with any of the other common issues of a 42-43 year old boat, or the motor has been neglected.....the value could be a negative number

Here are some pictures of the boat. I'm located in southern California. The motor starts right up and looks very healthy and clean inside. The seller said he's had it for 7 years and he is the second owner. He tells me that he gets it tuned up every year before every summer. He is asking for $2,200 but I was able to negotiate to $1,600.I hope this helps. Again thank you! Any feedback will be helpful!

Attachments

• photo298506.jpg
    photo298506.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo298507.jpg
    photo298507.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo298508.jpg
    photo298508.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 2
Also trailer is in good condition with new wiring and the registration for both the boat and trailer are all up to date.

Well the hull has some about 6 nickle size chips that expose the fiberglass. Is that bad? Thank you for the help!

tpenfield

Staff member
Nickels only cost 5 cents, so you should be fine. Get a gelcoat patch kit to fix them.

GA_Boater

Nickels only cost 5 cents, so you should be fine. Get a gelcoat patch kit to fix them.

Ha Ha.

In Southern California $1600 isn't bad as long as the hidden parts are OK.

Take the boat on a test drive before paying a nickle.

roffey

Commander
looks like a great starter boat, comes pre dinged... but seriously this makes a great starter boat not to big that its a problem docking for putting back on the trailer..

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
You guys are too generous. That boat doesn't have any real value. The owner would have to pay to haul it away to the dump. Are you going to take your family out into rough water with it?
There is nothing quite as expensive as a cheap boat or airplane.

roffey

Commander
Leardriver Honestly I think most boats that float and have a motor that runs have some value. A boat like the one listed here do not have to be a forever boat but more of a starting point. He can learn on this one and it wont make you cry if you ding it up. Outboard motors are easier to care for and this one is small enough to trailer and put in and out of the water. As I said it will make a good starter boat.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It is worth whatever the market will bear. Around here that boat won't go for more than 1000 bucks Canadian. It's an old glass boat that may come with old boat problems. I've seen some scows on the internet that show well in photos but up close not so shiny. I know of one shyster here in town that rubs his hoopdy cars and trucks down with vegetable oil and posts pics on the internet. And he sells them! I hope it's a good boat for you, read the sticky at the top of this forum and follow it. Caveat Emptor. That's Latin for "as is."

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Leardriver Honestly I think most boats that float and have a motor that runs have some value. A boat like the one listed here do not have to be a forever boat but more of a starting point. He can learn on this one and it wont make you cry if you ding it up. Outboard motors are easier to care for and this one is small enough to trailer and put in and out of the water. As I said it will make a good starter boat.

Ok, I repent and retract my previous analysis. If you have a small enough body of water, some joy can by had. If you are anticipating a summer of family boating enjoyment, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I'm going to be using the boat for the lake only. I've seen many boats around that $1,600 price range and they are pretty scary. Either the upholstery needs to be all redone or the engine is bad and needs work. The photos I posted I took myself. I went to see the boat on Saturday morning and the seller told me he didn't want me to take it yet until he completed a tune up since it hasn't been tuned up this season.

GA_Boater

I neglected to welcome you to the forum, BB20. So :welcome: aboard.

I guess you see we have no opinions on buying a boat. :smile:

Hope you have a good test float and the boat works fine for you and your family. Remember, it won't be long before the dreaded 2footitis strikes. :D

I do recommend taking a boating safety course in a classroom. You will be able to ask the instructors questions and it will geared toward local boating and laws/regulations.

Good luck and we'll be here if you have more questions before or after buying her. Enjoy!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Is he willing to do a water trial? If it runs decent, and the floor and transom isn't too soft yet, would be a great boat that could last a couple of years until you either rebuild or replace.