Baja tri 16

Coldwave600

Cadet
Hello new to the forum... anyway I have a Baja tri 16 with a 83 merc 80hp I'm getting about 30mph on GPS at about 4600 rpm WOT. Dose this seem about right?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your WOT RPM is a bit low verify the tach. you may be over-propped or the 36 year old hull may be water logged

Coldwave600

Cadet
Definitely not water logged she's dry as can be. The prop that is on it I think says 344-c1-17 The motor also has a hydrofoil on it.

mr 88

Commander
Not sure how you verified that its "as dry as can be " . You should have a 2-4 " space between the hull and deck that is filled with foam. In older boats that foam has a tendency to get waterlogged. You have to search out [ google ] the actual dry weight then take it to a scale house to see what it weighs. You will need weights of the trailer and motor,unless you drop boat in water then weigh trailer by itself. The 17 on the prop is the pitch and that sounds about right,hydro foil will rob a little top end.

ahicks

Captain
"About right" would have the engine turning rpm's closer to the engine's max rated rpm/red line. 4600 is more of a cruising rpm.

If your tach is correct, your prop has too much pitch.

mr 88

Commander
"About right" would have the engine turning rpm's closer to the engine's max rated rpm/red line. 4600 is more of a cruising rpm.

If your tach is correct, your prop has too much pitch.

Not if his hull is waterlogged. Most boats in that size range run 17s or maybe 19s if its a aluminum set up. Have not seen many 15s on a 80hp 16' set up. That is why I [ not OP ] wrote, sounds" about right ",not in reference to the rpms but to the boat and motor configuration.So I would also suggest he verifies tach and the foam -weight situation before buying a 15" prop.

ahicks

Captain
I was speaking on more of an "as-is" basis. Not going to disagree on the potential the boat is much heavier than it should be, or for the potential the engine isn't running correctly.

Coldwave600

Cadet
I have added a fair amount of weight to the boat. Built a casting deck up front with bow mount Minn kota fortrexx and 2 deep cycle batteries that sit under the casting deck. But the foam is not water logged.