Volvo-penta power steering problem

Wyld Wil

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1985 Nordic Viking 23’ With a 350 Volvo-Penta engine and a Volvo-Penta Dual Prop Drive.

My power steering pump is bad and according to Volvo-Penta the part (Pump) is OBSOLETE !

If I cut the fan belt to the power steering pump Would I be able to drive the boat WITHOUT causing any engine or drive problems / I do realize the steering to the boat would be “harder”.

Thanks for any ideas and/or suggestions!

Wil
317-605-6908
wyldwil@hotmail.com

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
spend the $11 on a rebuild kit. the power steering pump is a saginaw power steering pump used on GM vehicles from 1962 to 2000ish

the only thing special about the volvo unit is that the hardware is metric, the drain on the reservoir is on the LH side and the pressure relief valve is a 1100 psi unit.

if you want to buy a new pump, they are cheap. just dont go thru Volvo.

Maclin

Admiral
If you feel like you need to cut the belt, then look at the pulley arrangement closely, make sure the engine cooling circulating pump still gets driven if you remove the PS belt.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was going to say, obsolete??? Like Scott said, that's just a token GM power steering pump, , should be a dime a dozen.

Or if you want to delete the pump you might have to figure out an idler pulley to go in it's place, , , if there is something else driven off of that belt.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the PS belts on mid 80's VP V8's is dedicated v-belt driven off the water pump pulley. loosen one bolt and remove.

Wyld Wil

Recruit
I Just Want To Thank EVERYBODY That Offered Up Their Expertise, Suggestions, & Ideas With Regards To My 1985 Nordic Viking With The Bad Powersteering Pump !!! I Am Not That Computer Literate - So I Have To Apolgize For Not Responing Sooner - I Thought I Would Get “Notified” Of A Response To My Question. Just A Note: I Was Able To Get A Rebuilt Pump (Less Canister) From TEAGUE MARINE in Valancia, CA. It Was Kind Of Funny, TEAGUE Was Very Surprised That Volvo Was Saying The Pump Was OBSOLETE - (TEAGUE Said He Had A Number Of Them In Stock).

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP !!!

Will Cross
317-605-6908
wyldwil@hotmail.com

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Wyld Will - going forward, there is a setting that you can turn on that sends you emails when someone replies to your post. It's in settings, , I forgot how to get there, perhaps someone else here can give you directions how to turn that on.