Sunbird Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

svan

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to iboats, Been boating forever, owned many skiffs/ flat bottom bay boats, a 70's tri hull, a v cuddy and a couple of pontoons. I "acquired" a Deck Boat true Tri-Hull from a buddy, he's owned it for 12 years and bought a new boat. I'm a little nervous about this thing, I am not as young as I used to be and not sure if I want to dive into another project. it's a 1995 Sunbird Odyssey 21' deck boat. It's powered by a 130hp Evinrude 2 stroke (which runs GREAT!) and included a brand new trailer. It's a Georgia lake boat and has never been in salt water. I have been on this boat, Ski'd, tubed, wake boarded off of it and all. the age of it is scaring me. What do you guys think? My family wants to keep her, i'm not so sure (buyers remorse i guess).

Attachments

• photo290612.jpg
    photo290612.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 7
  • photo290614.jpg
    photo290614.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 7
  • photo290615.jpg
    photo290615.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo290616.jpg
    photo290616.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its well cared for, well maintained and you know the history, why not.

my boat is an '88

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
You've got a lot of experience with boats and projects. What makes you uneasy about this boat?

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
What about it is a project, besides being a 22 year old boat? Looks very clean in the pictures.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Looks clean and well cared for, from pic spent life in covered boat house. Any thing can happen out if the blue, but Unless your friend shafts you there should be no surprises. Wouldn't worry about it.

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Guys,
I guess I needed to be Motivated. My Buddy is not the "routine/preventive maintenance" guy that I am. (Yes I'm anal).
He has beached this thing many times which has left some deep gouges, and has told me that the center bilge pump hasn't worked in years(it has 3 separate hulls). The floor around the captains chair is "moving" (it is plywood under the nice looking gel-coat). Anyways, After a family vote, We have decided to fix the lights that don't work, and ride it for the season. we'll make another decision late Sept. I really like the hull, rides like a Fast pontoon.
Thanks again! Be Safe this summer!
Scott

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Ok Guys,
Last March The Family Voted to keep the Deck Boat... In the fall I was outvoted again. Not going to start a huge project yet, got the bilge pumps to work but since we trailer her it's drained out after each use. Yes, she takes on a little water even after some hull repairs. I am reading everyday about replacing stringers, Floor is the last to rot, and drill into the transom to see if it's wet or rotted. just wondering whats under this floor, Anyone done these repairs on a Sunbird Odyssey deck boat? Just looking for some pointers on this thing.
Thank You,Scott

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi Scott! Welcome aboard. If the deck has soft/spongy spots that’s not a great sign. You are correct that most boats rot from the under structure upward. Get a drill and drill a few test spots in the transom.. if you can get at it. Or start with the deck where it’s soft... I don’t know spcifcs on your boat but most likely you have a few stringers and bulkheads under the deck, probably filled with foam. Deck boats normally don’t have a whole lot below decks. While redoing it all isn’t “hard” work.. it’s a lot of it. Tons of great folks to walk you through on here if needed.

Fellow geogia boater. What lake are you on?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Depending on how much you paid for her drive her until she dies. That is after you have all the safety issues addressed, like bilge pump and lights. My StarCraft is a 94 or 95 depending on what paperwork I have. Cosmetically she is in tip top shape. The floor at the Port side seat is a bit bouncy. I won't get into a complete floor rebuild at this time of my life. The transom is solid. I would check that as suggested. I'm a Merc/Mariner guy but must admit those 2 stroke Evinrude's are solid power plants. Enjoy.

Also welcome aboard the best Boating site on the planet. It's normal to have over 60,000 users on here at anytime.

Last edited:

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Scott! Welcome aboard. If the deck has soft/spongy spots that’s not a great sign. You are correct that most boats rot from the under structure upward. Get a drill and drill a few test spots in the transom.. if you can get at it. Or start with the deck where it’s soft... I don’t know spcifcs on your boat but most likely you have a few stringers and bulkheads under the deck, probably filled with foam. Deck boats normally don’t have a whole lot below decks. While redoing it all isn’t “hard” work.. it’s a lot of it. Tons of great folks to walk you through on here if needed.

Fellow geogia boater. What lake are you on?

Ciera2450, We are on Clarks Hill Lake, or Lake Thurmond depends on who you ask. I did cut into the "deck" a little, looked into the starboard hull, looks good, stringers are still sealed in fiberglass. I could not reach the transom yet. It is not very tall and with the 3 separate hull design seems very strong. i noticed on the deck, everywhere the previous owner had drilled new holes for screws that's where the floor is bouncy. The floor is plywood with fiberglass above and below the plywood.
My oldest son just turned 21, he wants me to keep it or give it to him, lol, the rest of the family wants to keep her so yes, we are enjoying an older boat!
Thanks,
Scott

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Depending on how much you paid for her drive her until she dies. That is after you have all the safety issues addressed, like bilge pump and lights. My StarCraft is a 94 or 95 depending on what paperwork I have. Cosmetically she is in tip top shape. The floor at the Port side seat is a bit bouncy. I won't get into a complete floor rebuild at this time of my life. The transom is solid. I would check that as suggested. I'm a Merc/Mariner guy but must admit those 2 stroke Evinrude's are solid power plants. Enjoy.

Also welcome aboard the best Boating site on the planet. It's normal to have over 60,000 users on here at anytime.

Old Ironmaker, Yes Sir, we are riding! I also like the Mercury stuff but I have full confidence in this 130 Evinrude!
I am doing small repairs for now, keeping her afloat while still having fun.
Thank You,
Scott

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Wrighteous,
I tried again this summer to sell it..My wife gets mad then says "only if we get another Pontoon"
Exactly what I didn't want so I'm sticking with the Sunbird another year or so.
Have you done any Mods to yours?

J13

Recruit
Bought an older Sunbird with broken fuel gauge, wires are to rotten to use. Do you know how many gallons of fuel the tank holds?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bought an older Sunbird with broken fuel gauge, wires are to rotten to use. Do you know how many gallons of fuel the tank holds?

If you start a thread of your own, you might get an answer. But you have to tell us more about your Sunbird.

svan

Seaman Apprentice

Mine Holds 21 gallons and is mounted on top of the Deck, sending unit wires are missing...Gone! So... I just take a Peek at the "Plastic" tank once in a while to see where the level is.

Status
Not open for further replies.