Interstate Boat Transporting

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have got five quotes, but think I will talk to the guy who quoted us $3500, referred from our dry storage, and see if he can lower that some. We are still seriously stuck on him, because he knows the same people we do at dry storage and they talk very good about him.

ahicks

Captain
So if you wouldn't mind sharing them, what is the range of the bids you received?

LuvBoating

Well, we did call the guy, who was highly recommended by our Dry Storage. He is the one that knows the same folks at Dry Storage, Fiberglass Repair and Marine Service that we know. He said he would do the transporting for $3,500 and we called to see if we could get his quote lower...……..he won't budge on the cost. Told him we got some lower quotes from uShip, but since he knows the same marine industry folks we do, we are still considering him. He told me, "Using uShip is like shopping for certain things at Walmart...…...you get what you pay for. I have Class A Insurance and will take complete care of your boat. There are other transports that will even charge more than I do." We know that he's right, because we contacted one that was some $3k more.

My wife wasn't very happy that he wouldn't budge (lower) from the $3,500, but even though the cost is high, he guarantees us we will be totally happy with his service. Anyway, our boat is a 1992, not a new one, even though many things on the boat are basically new. I told her that he is right that we don't know any of the guys on uShip and have to go by their reviews and what they say.

What do any of you think? Along with the quote from uShip, what added cost is there when going thru that website?

Anyway, before we actually accept a quote, from either him or someone else, we do have a priority...….rent a spot in Colorado to have the boat set on.

ahicks

Captain
If you're stuck on this guy that was recommended to you, and he's in the ball park as far as price, use him. You'll sleep better.

If the u-ship quotes are half of what he's talking as I suspect, just vet them carefully. Tell us who you are talking to and maybe we've used them or know somebody that has.

It sounds though, like your mind is already made up. You're just waiting for somebody to agree with you.

LuvBoating

If you're stuck on this guy that was recommended to you, and he's in the ball park as far as price, use him. You'll sleep better.

If the u-ship quotes are half of what he's talking as I suspect, just vet them carefully. Tell us who you are talking to and maybe we've used them or know somebody that has.

It sounds though, like your mind is already made up. You're just waiting for somebody to agree with you.

Our mind isn't made up on this guy yet, but we are concerned about the uShip guys. The uShip guys quotes, for the most part, are lower than his, but how good their service will be, we really don't know. There are those that have very good reviews, but just how much can a person trust "reviews".

We really don't want to pay $3,500 for this transport, but we are asking ourselves "could this higher cost be best for our boat?"

briangcc

Commander
Sounds like you're bound and determined to use the guy from the marina and not much is going to sway you at this stage.

Good luck with your decision - it's only $$.

**FWIW: I wouldn't, I'd be looking elsewhere.

LuvBoating

Sounds like you're bound and determined to use the guy from the marina and not much is going to sway you at this stage.

Good luck with your decision - it's only $$.

**FWIW: I wouldn't, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Apparently you didn't read my last post that well. I said that we aren't totally convinced about using this guy, but, if "push comes to shove", we just might have to and pay the cost.

briangcc

Commander
I did, thank you. However every other post made has been....we went back to the guy at the marina and...

So let's flip the tables a bit. How do you know you're not getting a bum deal with the guy willing to charge an arm and a leg? Just because someone recommends them at your marina doesn't mean they are reputable. Suddenly they don't look so bright and shiny and you overpaid in the process.

I know several collector car people that have used U-ship to ship parts across country without issue. Hoods, quarter panels, etc. Some have moved whole, restored cars worth alot more than the boat we're discussing here.

We'll agree to disagree and I'll stop commenting. Again, good luck with the move.

LuvBoating

I did, thank you. However every other post made has been....we went back to the guy at the marina and...

So let's flip the tables a bit. How do you know you're not getting a bum deal with the guy willing to charge an arm and a leg? Just because someone recommends them at your marina doesn't mean they are reputable. Suddenly they don't look so bright and shiny and you overpaid in the process.

I know several collector car people that have used U-ship to ship parts across country without issue. Hoods, quarter panels, etc. Some have moved whole, restored cars worth alot more than the boat we're discussing here.

We'll agree to disagree and I'll stop commenting. Again, good luck with the move.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just telling you that we weren't completely sold on this guy doing our boat. However, it does help that he knows, and is highly recommended, by the people we already know.

Anyway, I sort of jumped the gun and listed with uShip before even finding a place to set the boat in Colorado. IOW, kind of "first things first" thing. But, even though we would like to get a lower cost, we also want good service and protection of our boat while it is being transported. He does guarantee us that.

ahicks

Captain
So will the guys contracting with U-Ship (guarantee a good job).

LuvBoating

So will the guys contracting with U-Ship (guarantee a good job).

Yes, they all guarantee a good job.

Update: We are now renting an outside spot for our boat in northern Colorado at an RV/Boat Storage. Got it on the 21st of Jan., however won't be hiring someone for a couple of months and not having it transported until the middle of May. So, between now and then, have to pay for two storage spots...……...where we are currently and the new one.

LuvBoating

BIG question: Do uShip transporters or any other transporters allow a boat owner to have things stored on a boat that is being transported. Like, inside a cuddy cabin and/or inside a bench seat?

oldrem

Commander
BIG question: Do uShip transporters or any other transporters allow a boat owner to have things stored on a boat that is being transported. Like, inside a cuddy cabin and/or inside a bench seat?

I should think so as long as it's legal and declared to the shipper. The shipper will probably want to view the items and may or may not want to take responsibility for potential damage depending on the items and how they are packed.

ahicks

Captain
I doubt seriously that you would hear anything form a carrier regarding what you have in the boat - as long as it's withing reason. All your jackets, vests, dock gear, anchors, maybe a fishing pole or 2, safety equipment, etc. would all be considered "normal".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
shippers are concerned with the ORM (Other Restricted Materials) in the transport.

such as fuel, propane, compressed gas, munitions, etc.

LuvBoating

Well, we do sometimes have a problem locking our cuddy cabin door, and if it doesn't want to lock, will only put some small pillows and a few other non-valuable items in there. The rods/reels, fishing tackle and some other stuff for the boat, can go into a large black storage container we bought at Walmart some time ago. The same container that we placed at the side of the boat, with cleaning stuff in it, when the boat was on the trailer sitting on a spot at the last Boat/RV Storage we were at. We have a lock for the container and it can go with the Moving Company when they get our furniture and that.

And, our boat has an almost full tank of gas. It's very good/newer gas, so don't want to drain the gas out.

LuvBoating

Last week, we had four new Goodyear tires put on the trailer. The spare, attached to the trailer, has never been used and is covered. The Bearing Buddies were checked when the new tires were put on and they are in good condition. When the trailer was pulled down from the rack at dry storage, I re-greased the bearings w/marine grease. A new license plate and tag are now on the trailer as well.
The boat itself is ready to go, except for securing a few things.

I redone my listing on uShip, but not getting much for response. Also found out that uShip hasn't got the best reputation for boat transporting. The few quotes I've got from uShip are very close to the same quote I got ($3,500) from a private party who transports boats at our dry storage. He doesn't have anything good to say about uShip. The $3,500 quote from him is high, but he is very highly recommended. He just delivered a boat to NY, with no problems at all.

All we know is...…...we want our boat/trailer to get to Colorado in one piece and this guy really knows his stuff with transporting boats.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Sounds to me like you'd be more comfortable with this guy who was recommended to you. That alone may be worth any difference in cost between him and other shippers...

ahicks

Captain
A couple of months ago, I was considering having a boat on ebay shipped from Mi to Fl and put in a request for bid. Almost immediately, I got a couple of stupid expensive quotes in the 3500 range, but then several more, in the area of 1000 to 1500 came in, despite the fact I mentioned that tire and bearing condition were both unknown. The guys bidding in the lower group all acknowledged the fact they may have a problem with tires or bearings, and were equipped to deal with it.

I stand by the fact that 3500 to ship your boat is stupid expensive, but you do what you have to to sleep well.