Interstate Boat Transporting

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds to me like you'd be more comfortable with this guy who was recommended to you. That alone may be worth any difference in cost between him and other shippers...

VERY true and I've talked to him a few times. I will always go by the old saying "cheaper doesn't always mean better". However, "cheaper" can be as good as "better", but most always NOT.

LuvBoating

A couple of months ago, I was considering having a boat on ebay shipped from Mi to Fl and put in a request for bid. Almost immediately, I got a couple of stupid expensive quotes in the 3500 range, but then several more, in the area of 1000 to 1500 came in, despite the fact I mentioned that tire and bearing condition were both unknown. The guys bidding in the lower group all acknowledged the fact they may have a problem with tires or bearings, and were equipped to deal with it.

I stand by the fact that 3500 to ship your boat is stupid expensive, but you do what you have to to sleep well.

3500 is expensive, but for better boat care, he has Class "A" Insurance and is so highly recommended by both our dry storage personnel and marine service personnel, he really, really seems like the best. When we are ready, our boat/trailer can be sold, to a private party, for a whole lot more than it would be sold here, if sold here at all.

There are some real horror stories online about uShip, however, since I haven't committed to this guy yet, I have got two other places to call for a quote. If they compared to his, we will definitely go with him and the 3500.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are bound and determined to spend $3500 arent you?

LuvBoating

you are bound and determined to spend $3500 arent you?

Well, don't really want to, but DO want our boat to get to Colorado safely. I'm still getting quotes in from uShip and those quotes are only $100 and $200 less than the $3500 the guy quoted us. I feel that we would trust the guy that was recommended to us a whole lot more, even with the cost, than we would a complete stranger. IOW, I KNOW the same people he does at dry storage and the marine service.

ahicks

Captain
If you do get more reasonable quotes, these guys have references, AND insurance. One guy that responded to my add was a DOT certified truck driver hauling boats in his spare time. That kind of experience is something you don't find every day.

This guy that's been recommended to you may be a good back up, but give these quotes a fair shake. Just make sure you do the due diligence. Check out the references and get proof of insurance.

Or save yourself the trouble, dismiss the 7 PAGES of experience being shared with you here, and save us the ongoing saga of your adventure. Get it done with the guy you've been wanting to use from the beginning and be done with it.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
What were the lowest uship quotes you got initially/recently? Did you check with scott's guys? If you're insured, what are you worried about? Just document the crap out of the condition of the boat pre-ship, tons of pics, etc. What's your boat worth? Guessing well south of 10k, though I certainly understand wanting to keep something you know and like (see my sig...). Strictly financially, you'll be coming out behind in this if you pay $3500, no question. But it also depends on what $3500 is worth to you...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
If you do get more reasonable quotes, these guys have references, AND insurance. One guy that responded to my add was a DOT certified truck driver hauling boats in his spare time.

What is 'DOT certified'? He either has a commercial license or he doesn't, DOT doesn't certify the quality of anyone beyond a license to drive a truck & haul certain type/weight of cargo. And insurance is mandatory for them to be on the road, and unless you dive deeply into the details, their insurance very likely covers very little of your boat.

oldjeep

Admiral
What is 'DOT certified'? He either has a commercial license or he doesn't, DOT doesn't certify the quality of anyone beyond a license to drive a truck & haul certain type/weight of cargo. And insurance is mandatory for them to be on the road, and unless you dive deeply into the details, their insurance very likely covers very little of your boat.

It means that he has DOT numbers on his truck, which is different than having a commercial license. You can be required to have a DOT number and not need a commercial license

In general, a USDOT Number is required if you are operating in interstate commerce and:
  • You have vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs. ...
  • You transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation, whether direct or indirect.
  • You transport 16 or more passengers.
  • You haul hazardous materials.

ahicks

Captain
oldjeep, thank you! I would add that nobody is going to mess with maintaining that certification unless they mean business. Bottom line, I figured it was proof he's no amateur.....