Interstate Boat Transporting

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
By the way, this guy, who we are seriously considering to haul our boat, is recommended by our dry storage management and known to the marine service also, he must be good. I mean, dry storage wouldn't recommend someone that doesn't have the proper credentials for towing boats interstate.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And, WHO are we going to hire to pull the flat-bed? It would have to be tied down a whole lot. Have only seen new boats hauled on flat-bed.

you call hauling companies that have trucks going back and forth on the interstates daily. they handle it from there

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the last thing I had shipped across the US was a 1934 ford Pickup and matching trailer (it was $800). as long as it rolls its reasonable. if it moves under its own power its cheaper yet. I would ship both your Durango and the boat/Trailer out there for about $1200 (you cant drive it there for the difference in shipping cost).

call u-ship, A! or other logistics companies.

they pick-up, they load, they drive, they are bonded and insured. and you dont have to sell your boat, buy tires to replace your old and weather-checked tires or even put a mile on the combo.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
By the way, this guy, who we are seriously considering to haul our boat, is recommended by our dry storage management and known to the marine service also, he must be good. I mean, dry storage wouldn't recommend someone that doesn't have the proper credentials for towing boats interstate.

that is because at $3500, they are getting a cut of the business. however its your money. our company just shipped a volvo S70 from St Pete Florida to Seattle Washington (owners daughter) for under $600 (just a bit smaller than your boat)

they put boats on flat-beds and car haulers all the time.

ahicks

Captain
3500. seems a bit steep to me as well.

I'm with Scott here. Put the job up for bid, and go with a nationally known outfit with known credentials and references.

LuvBoating

Well, we got a quote a couple of months ago for something like $4k plus to transport the boat. I may check with uShip for any quotes, BUT, at lease this guy who quoted $3500 knows the same folks we do, concerning the boat.

Since there are no dry storages in Colorado, the boat will be on a trailer on a storage spot. The trailer will be used all of the time, so getting new tires here, while my wife is still working, would be a good idea (to us).

I'm going over to dry storage today and will ask about the guy they recommended me to. See why they recommend him and if he's transported any boats from there. IOW, check the dude out.

LuvBoating

the last thing I had shipped across the US was a 1934 ford Pickup and matching trailer (it was $800). as long as it rolls its reasonable. if it moves under its own power its cheaper yet. I would ship both your Durango and the boat/Trailer out there for about $1200 (you cant drive it there for the difference in shipping cost).

call u-ship, A! or other logistics companies.

they pick-up, they load, they drive, they are bonded and insured. and you dont have to sell your boat, buy tires to replace your old and weather-checked tires or even put a mile on the combo.

Don't think we want to ship both the Durango and the boat. We wouldn't have anywhere for the shipper to drop the Durango and, if we weren't there to pick up the Durango..........

Besides that, we can load the Durango with some things, like our desktop computer, and take them with us.

We had our Dodge Ram shipped from Colorado to North Carolina, on a car carrier. The guy did make a weekend stop at his house, but we were able to meet him in Charlotte, where he dropped the truck in a K-Mart parking lot. Wife didn't like him making a "weekend stop" and not letting us know.

LuvBoating

3500. seems a bit steep to me as well.

I'm with Scott here. Put the job up for bid, and go with a nationally known outfit with known credentials and references.

He was recommended by our dry storage manager and the three surrounding marine businesses know him as well. That should be very good, right?

ahicks

Captain
I think you should be able to get that job done by a top notch company for 1/3 of what you are considering spending.

Just because your Marina knows the guy doesn't mean he's good, or reasonably priced.

There are MANY of us that will go WAY out of our way to avoid doing business with a boat dealer or Marina. They are NOT to be trusted automatically, and assuming they are treating you right when it comes to pricing is NEVER to be assumed. ALWAYS get at least one other bid to keep them honest, whenever dealing with them.

For instance, for all you know, this guy they are recommending is going to charge you 3500 to sit down in front of his computer and put your job up for bid. He'll select the most reasonable, who's bid is in line with what Scott and I are thinking, and pocket the difference for his trouble. Not bad for a days work! -Al

Last edited:

LuvBoating

I think you should be able to get that job done by a top notch company for 1/3 of what you are considering spending.

Just because your Marina knows the guy doesn't mean he's good, or reasonably priced.

There are MANY of us that will go WAY out of our way to avoid doing business with a boat dealer or Marina. They are NOT to be trusted automatically, and assuming they are treating you right when it comes to pricing is NEVER to be assumed. ALWAYS get at least one other bid to keep them honest, whenever dealing with them.

For instance, for all you know, this guy they are recommending is going to charge you 3500 to sit down in front of his computer and put your job up for bid. He'll select the most reasonable, who's bid is in line with what Scott and I are thinking, and pocket the difference for his trouble. Not bad for a days work! -Al

Did you see in my post (#52) that we had got a quote from someone for $4k and that was someone I found online here in Jacksonville. I took down his info, but that was it.
And, if I remember right, our marine service gave me a transport business card, that I called, and he told me around $6k, but didn't seem interested at all in hauling our boat to Colorado. He has hauled boats to southern states and to east coast states and wasn't very interested in going to Colorado. The marine service didn't know the guy, he just dropped some his business card offs with the office manager.
Like I have already stated about talking with the manager at dry storage as well as our mechanic and the office manager, all of whom he knows...….today.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Who are you calling for $4k or $6k? that would be a dedicated haul

you have to call a logistics company that does nothing except hauling cars/trucks/boats/collector cars, etc. they have the contacts.

if you want a dedicated load, then you are going to pay for a dedicated load. you pay for the whole thing. however if you let the logistic company do their job, you get to share the cost of the freight and pay much less.

sort of like flying on a plane. you could buy all the seats to fly only yourself or you could buy the tickets for the seats you need for much less money.

its your money, spend it as you would.

I personally would save the majority of the money, ship both your boat and durango, and then fly.

ahicks

Captain
Just register now. It's the 1992 20' Celebrity 200 Cuddy Cabin one.

Just register now? You mean you just registered to use their web site?

And I'm pretty sure they aren't going to know a Celebrity Cuddy Cabin from a hole in the wall. You're going to need to know things like it's weight, and dimensions I'm pretty sure. They want that info so they can get an idea of what they can pair it up with, etc.

LuvBoating

Just register now? You mean you just registered to use their web site?

And I'm pretty sure they aren't going to know a Celebrity Cuddy Cabin from a hole in the wall. You're going to need to know things like it's weight, and dimensions I'm pretty sure. They want that info so they can get an idea of what they can pair it up with, etc.

Filled out everything...….make, model, length, width, height, where it will be picked up and where it was going.

LuvBoating

I talked to the receptionist at dry storage, who gave me the guys phone number, talked to both the office manager and our mechanic at the marine service.....…….and all three say great things about the guy. He has towed boats to other places/states that were in dry storage there. The manager at dry storage knows him as well. So, the dude comes with very good references.

Wife and I always go by the saying, "cheaper doesn't always mean better".

I will see what kind of quotes I get from uShip before we do anything else.

LuvBoating

Listed our boat on uShip yesterday AM, but no responses yet (this morning AM). Just listed it on boatmovers.com this morning.

But, still seriously considering the recommended guy, from dry storage, that I talked to.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I PM'd you a contact from one of my Hot Rod buds. the contact came thru Purple Monkey Kustoms

LuvBoating

How long does it generally take to get at least ONE quote, from uShip or boatmovers.com???