Interstate Boat Transporting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate Boat Transporting

If our 20' 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy w/5.7L I/O continues running good this summer, we want to have it taken to northern Colorado from Jacksonville, FL next May. We plan on moving to there then. Wife and I are too old and inexperience to haul the boat that far ourselves. Even if we were younger than 70, we'd still have it shipped. It will be on a boat trailer.

Basically, we know nothing about this subject, other than whomever can give us a quote, we have to have the length, width, height and weight of the boat to give them. There are people that will hook it up to their truck or motorhome and transport it...…..but, to Colorado is quite far from here. I was told that some companies will use a trailer or flat-bed to transport boats. At the time of transporting, we'd already have a storage spot set up and paid for there. A

Anyone with any helpful knowledge of this, please reply.

Most bonded and insured companies will flat-bed it.

you will need to have it wrapped for the trip.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Are you looking for a low price, or for top service?
      San Diego, CA "The 619"

2000 Sea Hunt Triton 172 CC, 2014 Mercury OptiMax 125

"It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission" -Colin Powell, et.al.

Comment

When I was building factories I often found used process equipment at a fraction of the price of new. Once I made the deal I used uship.com to have it transported to the plant. Never had a problem with them. They usually outsourced with private vendors. I always had flatbed deliveries and negotiated the terms with the driver personally on the phone. Give them a try.
        2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
        2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
        2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
        1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
        1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
        1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
        69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
          Most bonded and insured companies will flat-bed it.

you will need to have it wrapped for the trip.
          Yes, I read about having it wrapped, but no deck cover or full cover is allowed. Also read that, if the wrapping comes loose, the transporting person can take all of the wrapping off due to possible damage to the boat. Which means the boat would be totally in any kind of weather.

Comment

Originally posted by ajgraz View Post
            Are you looking for a low price, or for top service?
            Like many folks...…...both! But, of course, with anything, lower price doesn't always mean the best service.

Comment

Here's a photo of our 1992 20' Celebrity Cuddy Cabin. Photo was taken at Boat/RV Storage before being put into Dry Storage.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvBoating View Post

Yes, I read about having it wrapped, but no deck cover or full cover is allowed. Also read that, if the wrapping comes loose, the transporting person can take all of the wrapping off due to possible damage to the boat. Which means the boat would be totally in any kind of weather.
                that is why you need to take it to someone who wraps for transport and not just for storage. its about an extra 50% more because they take the time to re-inforce all the rub-areas and keep the wrap from coming loose in the first place.
                Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ebay has opened up a lot of shipping possibilities. Id see if you can find some vehicle and vessel shippers with good feedback and get prices from them, Insure the boat and trailer on your own as well and have it shipped. many shippers are looking for cargo thats flexible on dates so they can fill a carrier to the max before commiting to a date often times there prices can be quite affordable I have had a few cars shipped without issues. Your boats not going to put them oversized but there is one hang up with boat transportation that is different than cars which would be state inspections for invasive species carried on boats and trailers between states. The shipper will have to be aware of these and a few other possible issues. I would bet there are more empty boat haulers leaving Florida than coming to it so its possible you will find ones with empty loads are looking for anyone to help offset there costs.

Comment

Not nearly as easy as wife and I thought it would be to find someone. Guess most boats from Florida are transported to East Coast states much, much more than to Rocky Mountain or Plains states. We have been encountered by a question, "why would anyone want to leave Florida and go back to a snow state or go to a snow state period?"

So, will just have to keep looking.

Comment

I think you've been conned. There are a LOT of boats, including some much larger than what you are looking at, that are shipped back and forth between Florida and the Great Lakes area seasonally.

I recently shipped a Goldwing after a sale on Ebay (from Florida central Gulf coast to Brazil), and the driver that picked it up had just returned from delivering a boat from Miami to someplace in California. He was based in Miami, using a leased Ford pickup.

To answer the question why move, ask any snowbird. It's not that difficult to answer. The short answer is because you can. The longer answer involves the miserable Florida summer weather, and shoveling snow in the winter.....

Comment

I shipped a boat (19'Center Console) from MN to AZ.

Since I was moving, the moving company (Allied) contracted it and it was shipped flatbed.

Scott Danforth is right, there is a difference in wrap from storage to transport.

I would contact a moving company to see if they have shippers on contract. THey do this stuff all the time.
                        The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you're done!

Comment

Well, still looking into this. What we DO know is that, if (could be a big "if") our boat is still operating good, by the end of this summer, we definitely want to have it wherever we move to. Most likely, that "wherever" will end up being on the northern end of The Front Range in Colorado or southeastern Wyoming (Cheyenne). We visit both areas this summer for a week. We already know what the winter weather is like there, since we lived south of Denver, in Parker, for 5 1/2 years.

One thing for sure, the boating we done in Colorado lakes was much, much easier than it is here in Jacksonville, FL. Just way too much navigational things to learn here!

Comment

Both of the batteries are out of our boat and in our apt. outside closet. After taking them out, I done a complete charge of both and both are in great condition. Also, bought an electric wench that is the size we need and "pulling power". Will install it and the rod holders in Colorado. Had rod holders on it, but took them. Just never did any saltwater fishing and got rid of all our saltwater fishing gear.

The boat is completely winterized, as in fogging, additive to fuel filter, block drain and fuel additive to gas tank. As far as we are concerned, this boat will never see the "brackish" water of St Johns River again. We will still have to rent an outdoor space at a Boat/RV Storage in Colorado, but that won't happen for a few months. Plan on having it transported just after Mother's Day Weekend. Will put batteries back in, before transporting, but will take electric wench with us......not a moving company.

So, still have to get quotes from two different websites on transporting it. Will also have to see if we can afford to have it shrink-wrapped, but do know, as already stated, the driver will not allow the cockpit cover or full cover on it in transporting. We don't want to get our boat wet inside, but if we can't afford the shrink wrap, it might have to get wet.

We actually had thought about selling it here, but, from the looks of the boats (ages) in our dry storage, it won't sell here. To old and nobody here wants a cuddy cabin.

Any thoughts?

Comment

http://www.frankmoletransport.com/Fr...t/Welcome.html

When in doubt,Trim it out!!!
                              Business Owner & Certifed Technician
                              Boats I own & use
                              20ft Javlin w/250 Junkrude
                              17ft Bullet w/200 Merc (SOLD!!)
                              13ft Allison w/150 I-6
                              17ft Hydra-Sport 175GT
                              15ft Allison w/75 Stinger(project)
                              14 x 48 Drifter with 1100SS Merc

Comment

Working...
                              X