Chrysler 318 questions.

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I purchased a 1969 31’ Uniflite Flybridge Cruiser. In 2014 I got the boat home, after having sat for nearly 6 years unstarted and floating at a marina. I was able to get one engine started and limped her to a repair marina to have the hull scraped, sanded and inspected. All good. New zincs and a little work I had the starboard engine running, In the past four years I have had all 4 heads pulled and machined, I have replaced all the manifolds, risers, heat exchangers, new carter afb carburetors, new fuel pumps, new engine water circulators, new marine alternators, new electronic ignitions, gutted the helm and all gauges and wires replaced with Faria gauge sets. New stuffing boxes, shaft couplers, and strut bearings. It’s been a wild four years. Now I am hoping to Install a windlass but need some advice on sizes and types.. Anyone have any suggestions.

ahicks

Captain
<<<Now I am hoping to Install a windlass but need some advice on sizes and types.. Anyone have any suggestions.>>>

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the boat weighs 12000 Dry I believe according to the title, and it is 32’ long. Just curious if there is one model of windlass that stands out, one that has a good reputation? Also I forgot to ask in my 318 question. I found the torque specs for the exhaust manifolds, 20Lbs.. seriously? Seems a bit light. I was never a MOPAR guy and have little experience with the 318 other than just learning as I go along. I do have the manuals for them. But 20 Lbs just seems weak.

alldodge

Staff member
The GM small blocks use the same torque requirement.

So far as a windless, I would suggest a Maxwell, they cost a bit more then others but no issues for me since 1995. Others make them and should also work, just use their selection tool to determine the style and size you need/want

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_which_winch.php

PhilfromOhio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Maxwell.,thanks. Also, I don't have a pulpit on this boat. I did fashion one out of a treated 2x8 and bolted down and extra braces underneath in the rhode locker. It held up in strong wind and heavy waves. Am curious if I will need to replace that. Thanks for the tip on Maxwells I'll definitely have a look.