Total noob here. Want to know about bayliner 160 bowrider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwang

Cadet
Hi Folks

I live near Toronto. Looking at get into boating. My main use of the boat is to take family (two kids + wife) to different lakes/rivers/water ways during summer for swimming and site seeing. The bayliner 160 is the ONLY boat I can find on the market that has a package dimension that would fit into my garage. (Don't want to store it elsewhere during winter). I tried to look at used boats as I don't want to commit a lot of $$$ up front, but didn't see much 160 for sale. the ones that are for sale are asking pretty close to new boat sticker price anyway. So what would be a fair price to buy a new boat from dealer? $23000 + tax?
Apart from purchase price. I'd like to hear anything you experienced folks want to say.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Maclin

Admiral
Welcome Aboard!

Do you know what the lakes are like regarding windy/choppy conditions on normal days? That is a smallish boat when taking windy and choppy lake conditions into consideration, 2 kids and 2 adults is about all you would want on that particular boat in general. Even then the size of the adult(s) can make a difference. For instance, those front buckets just would not work for me, I sat in one at a local boat show.

The price varies a lot with options chosen on those, as with most boats. Your $23k figure, if USD, sounds like all the option boxes were checked, not sure how the Canada currency relates. Standard power at 60HP would not be adequate in my opinon for 4 people. The next step up with the 90hp would make for a very sporty boat, no worries on how many passengers or towing skiers, etc. That $23k seems like it is the 90hp upgrade and could and should include all the canvas and bimini, tow pylon, stereo, auto bilge pump, etc. Again only thinking in USD.

Have you looked at the Bayliner Element? Seems like the overall dimensions could fit your requirements, on their 16 footer anyway. They seem to be a nice package for families. While I prefer the more classic styling of the bow rider with a windshield, Bayliner has put a lot of passenger friendly features in their Elements.

mwang

Cadet
Hi Maclin

Thank you for your comment. I'm talking about $23000CAD, so that's with the 60HP motor. and bimini top. I would be going to small lakes and rivers in eastern ontario during calm sunny summer days only. I've had experience with 14 - 16 footer fishing boat in choppy water, and like you said, that wasn't a pleasant ride. I do realize the boat is a small 16 footer and was thinking about 18-20 footer, but the city I live in had some weirdest parking laws for parking trailers/RVs on my own driveway. So even if I found storage for winter, just park on my own driveway during summer would be an issue.
And Oh, I love the element E16, but with trailer, it's 8'0.5'' wide, my garage opening is 94''.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Build a bigger garage and get a bigger boat. You would be happier with a 18-20 foot with at least an 8 foot beam. A 16 footer is a little small for a family of 4.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I grew up with Grandpa's 14 footer equipped with a 10 HP outboard. I was envious of the guy down the street that had an 18 footer with 75 HP.

But in later years that wasn't good enough either. I always wanted a 26 footer with twin V8s. Then I could have the best boat on the block and take every friend and neighbor along with me.

But alas, it wouldn't fit in my garage, nor would my little car tow it.

As a young married with 2 kids, we couldn't have what we wanted, but we really needed a boat. We settled on a 16 footer with a 60 HP outboard. That boat served us well on little lakes, big rivers and even the Great lakes. That Bayliner sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Alumarine

Captain
Build a bigger garage and get a bigger boat. You would be happier with a 18-20 foot with at least an 8 foot beam. A 16 footer is a little small for a family of 4.

That's real easy to say but not often practical for a lot of people.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would get a 160as cheap as you can, because I suspect (if everyone enjoys boating) you will quickly outgrow the 160. Your kids will want to invite amfriend or two and the 160 will feel cramped fast. If you invest as little as possible, you can sell it and move up without taking a huge depreciation hit. For your current needs, a 160 sounds OK.

pwrplay

Seaman Apprentice
A 16 footer will be fine foe the smaller lakes in and around eastern ontario as long as Lake Ontario isnt on your radar to navigate. . Growing up we had a 16ft with an old 60 HP Johnson and it did us fine with up to 4 people in it for cruising around the lake and fishing. Heck it even pulled me up on 2 skis when i was a kid, although it was a little hard getting up.

But if you’re not in a hurry, deals can be found on a great used (2-3 years old) 18-20 with 90 +hp or even non current new. Last year I picked up a 2015 21 ft with a 5.0L MPI non current demo with oy 13 hours on it and 2 years Merc Warranty for about $30k without trailer.
I did have an old 2001 Searay 180 atcthe tome, so i wasnt in a hurry tonfind my next boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 16 footer will be fine foe the smaller lakes in and around eastern ontario as long as Lake Ontario isnt on your radar to navigate. . Growing up we had a 16ft with an old 60 HP Johnson and it did us fine with up to 4 people in it for cruising around the lake and fishing. Heck it even pulled me up on 2 skis when i was a kid, although it was a little hard getting up.

But if you’re not in a hurry, deals can be found on a great used (2-3 years old) 18-20 with 90 +hp or even non current new. Last year I picked up a 2015 21 ft with a 5.0L MPI non current demo with oy 13 hours on it and 2 years Merc Warranty for about $30k without trailer.
I did have an old 2001 Searay 180 atcthe tome, so i wasnt in a hurry tonfind my next boat.

You should read the other posts before you talk. (also use spellchecker cause some of your comments are not standable)

First of all, it has been reported that a 16/60 was successfully used in lake Ontario. But most importantly, your suggestions of 18-20 or even 21 are impossible.

pwrplay

Seaman Apprentice
You should read the other posts before you talk. (also use spellchecker cause some of your comments are not standable)

First of all, it has been reported that a 16/60 was successfully used in lake Ontario. But most importantly, your suggestions of 18-20 or even 21 are impossible.

Ya your right. I’m a total idiot for posting that . thank you for pointing that out so eloquently (did i spell that right Jim? LOL) and please delete my post moderator.

have a great day!!

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Hi Maclin

Thank you for your comment. I'm talking about $23000CAD, so that's with the 60HP motor. and bimini top. I would be going to small lakes and rivers in eastern ontario during calm sunny summer days only. I've had experience with 14 - 16 footer fishing boat in choppy water, and like you said, that wasn't a pleasant ride. I do realize the boat is a small 16 footer and was thinking about 18-20 footer, but the city I live in had some weirdest parking laws for parking trailers/RVs on my own driveway. So even if I found storage for winter, just park on my own driveway during summer would be an issue.
And Oh, I love the element E16, but with trailer, it's 8'0.5'' wide, my garage opening is 94''.

Yeah, the Element has the wider beam, seems too wide by a couple of inches :(

In any event the drop-dead dimension is the actual width outside fender to fender. Hate to have to take the fenders off.

And I did not ask my lake conditions question correctly for what I really wanted to know, and that was what the lakes are like around where you are and would be taking the boat to. Many climates have less wind than others, even close by. When I boated in south central Kansas any wind below 12mph was a calm day, you could see whitecaps all the time on a lake that averaged 3.8 feet. Here in north Texas it is slightly less, and there are more dead calm days. I was visiting some in-laws in Arkansas, the wind was 10mph one day when they wanted to take me out on their boat, about a 16 foot closed bow, and they were really hesitating. I lived in Kansas at the time, and I said if we had to wait until it was under 10mph at home we could never get to go boating!

More advice on my way out...
  • It would be good to get all the canvas you can afford up front from the Factory.
  • A key option to me for any boat is that automatic bilge pump, $40 USD very nice safety item.
  • Next in line if you can swing it is the Factory Stereo.
Hope you become a boating family, Good luck!

p.s. I am under an HOA with nutty rules, I store at a storage yard close by in a pull-thru covered stall, just part of the rent now.

mwang

Cadet
Wow. Thanks guys for all your comment, every single one. Really appreciated!
I was on another boat forum for some time and it was a dead forum.
So today, I drove 120 kms to a bayliner dealer in my area and looked at the 160 bowrider in person and man it was small, I mean it was small in the show room, it will be like a dot on the lake.
Now I'm actually lean towards a 18-20 footer. I'm not in a hurry, past experience told me not to jump on something too quickly, my older one is 4 and my younger one is 10 month old, so I'm not in a hurry. I'll be doing my how work browsing used boat for sale. I'm not sure if I should get a relatively newer one (within 5 yrs old) for around $25000CAD or an older one (10-15 yrs old) for about half the price, any thoughts on that?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
A 10-15 year old boat could save you a lot of money compared to a newer boat, but of course you run a much higher chance of structural or mechanical problems. A five year old boat would be safer and you very likely would be buying one without wood, which is nice.

Do you know any seasoned boaters who you might take with you when you look at prospects. That helps, too.

If you are not in a hurry, you often will get the best deals right at the end of the season, when sellers are trying to get rid of a boat before it has to be winterized.

Maclin

Admiral
Wow. Thanks guys for all your comment, every single one. Really appreciated!
I was on another boat forum for some time and it was a dead forum.
So today, I drove 120 kms to a bayliner dealer in my area and looked at the 160 bowrider in person and man it was small, I mean it was small in the show room, it will be like a dot on the lake.
Now I'm actually lean towards a 18-20 footer. I'm not in a hurry, past experience told me not to jump on something too quickly, my older one is 4 and my younger one is 10 month old, so I'm not in a hurry. I'll be doing my how work browsing used boat for sale. I'm not sure if I should get a relatively newer one (within 5 yrs old) for around $25000CAD or an older one (10-15 yrs old) for about half the price, any thoughts on that?

:thumb:

bcboater1531

Recruit
Glad you're looking at a larger boat with your family's safety in mind. I've bought new and used, and will only buy used in the future. I think the sweet spot on a used boat is the 5-10 year range. You can get a lot more boat for the money used. In that time frame the previous owner has figured out that they want a bigger boat, or that they don't use it and want out. Any kinks have been worked out and it is likely not had as much wear and tear. In any event get a marine surveyor to inspect the boat. It is a few hundred dollars, but it will be well spent and you can use the report to set your mind at ease, or renegotiate the price. End of the season, or over the winter are good times to buy. Make any offer contingent on the acceptable survey result and a successful sea trial. Good luck!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Everyone has their opinion and bless them for their views.

My original comments were based on the fact that larger than 16' was not doable. If you can find better storage for a larger boat, then more power to you.

A 2 year old boat has the kinks worked out and the warranty (probably) provided for a good result. Max rate of depreciation has passed.

A 5 year old boat had more kinks, but the (new) owner didn't really know much about boats so the repairs may have not been correctly.

A 10 year old boat probably had an owner that wasn't too interested any more, so the kinks are now still kinks. Besides, now the boat has been fully molested to suit the old owner.

None of my boats are molested. All have been customized with attention to detail. The boat I bought new in 2009 was sold in 2017 and my return was 90% of the original purchase price. The dealer's online description was awesome and he sold the boat in a matter of weeks.

Buy a new boat and take advantage of the warranty. Call the extra price (the cost of depreciation) the cost of personal satisfaction.

Maclin

Admiral
mwang I suggest you look around at storage yards close by with covered stalls, doesn't have to be fully enclosed. Polebarn style where you have no real boundary between you and a neighbor, but still out of the sun and most of the snow and rain. And your boat can be bigger, not limited to home storage options. It may seem expensive, especially if you add up a year's worth of rent checks but the problems it saves you and your boat from dealing with can be worth it.

I have more options with the covered stall that help boating be more enjoyable. If I do not want to put a cover back on late at night upon returning from the lake I can put that off until another day. I can also not worry about getting the cover supported right away as there will be no immediate need to keep the rain off of it. I usually take care of covering it completely with support poles and all the next day or so, unless I am heading out again.

I have a pull-thru for an RV style of space, and have electricity and charge batteries out there when I need something boat-acious to do during extended down times. I also do anything I can to it at storage, and with electricity that list is expanded. For instance I put some rear guide ons on the trailer there, and replaced the winch, etc.

I pull it home when I need to wash it or do maintenance that only make sense to do at home close to tools and reference box (computer). I kick everybody out of the garage and driveway and pull the truck on up into the garage with boat in the driveway. I can back most of the boat into the garage if I need to but the windshield barely clears. Sometimes if I just want to be sure it starts before we go out I just pull along the curb, hook up the water and work with it that way. A couple of hours should not matter to anyone.

Here is when I had two boats in my stall, bow to bow, I called it My Version of Dry Stack...:
Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20140626_004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	225.9 KB ID:	10562639

Attachments

• WP_20170307_006.jpg
    WP_20170307_006.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 3
  • WP_20140626_004.jpg
    WP_20140626_004.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

mwang

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I'm planning to start looking near the end of the season. At the same time, I do (conceptually) came up with another ideal. The bayliner 170 OB, the only place in package that does not fit my garage door width is the axle. If I can get some kind of dolly that has jack on it, then I can
(1) jack it up,
(2) take off the axle from trailer
(3) dolly into my garage for winter storage
This way, I can still see the boat daily, and need to do this operation twice a year.

briangcc

Commander
Campion also offers a 16' and 17' OB model - 485OB and 505B respectively. Since they're up north they may be worth checking out.

Depending on the lake, size of the family, goals this may be a sufficient sized boat. We grew up in a 15' closed bow and I moved us to a Bayliner 1800LS (17'6") in '99 which was plenty for a family of 4 adults. Little cramped fishing but definitely handled everything on the lake we were on in cottage country.

Status
Not open for further replies.