Center console rewire questionthrough

tks05

Cadet
Hello,
I am currently wiring my center console, with a bilge pump, and navigation lights. Do you think I should wire the bilge pump and navigation lights to the ignition, or to the battery? I believe the ignition system uses 14 gauge wire. Will I be drawing too many amps through the ignition system? I will utilize fuses for either approach. I would prefer to run through the ignition system to avoid a dead battery, as I only have one for this setup.
Thank you!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Personally, I'd go off the battery not ignition.
I wouldn't want my lights or more importantly bilge pump to not work if I had any issues with the ignition switch...
If anchored at night, you need the white light anyway.. Do you want to have to leave key on so you have the light?

Anyway, just my $0.02.. lol

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Ignition switches are not constructed to provide any significant current. I would recommend a master switch capable of 15A or so. You therefore only need to turn off one switch to kill all loads.

If your bilge pump has an automatic setting, that obviously needs to have power at all times, if the boat is slipped.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Battery for both. And pumps and lights should be fused. Running off the ignition means leaving the key on and that isn't always good for the motor and switching on the key shouldn't be needed in case of an emergency like the boat is filling up.

Ideally, the pump should be on a float switch with a manual switch on the dash to override the float switch.

My couple of pennies.