2018 What Have You Spent On Your Boat Year To Date

RGrew176

Commander
And so it begins another season of fun in the sun.

2018 Boating Expenses

Cost

1675.00 Summer Dockage Gibraltar Boat Yard

roffey

Commander
none yet, but we still have another two months to wait...

briangcc

Commander
$40 - SeaDek template kit
$50 - trailer registration
$30 - new life jacket for my oldest boy (next size up)
$10 - new throwable

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
This thread is a good way to make you sell your boat. Can you put a price on boating. I was on the cusp of purchasing a 30’ sea ray knew the owner knew the maintenance and it was a steal until I started adding up slip cost marina fuel prices putting it in and out of the water shrink wrapping. I stopped there I’ll stick with my 211 liberator, oh and it needs a new upper gears and case $3k omc.

ahicks

Captain
My thought is that if a golfer or avid hunter kept track of his annual expenses there would be fewer of those as well.

It's a hobby for Pete's sake.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Who said boating was a cheap sport, it's much cheaper if you do all the work involved to keep your combo 100% operational and in mint condition.

Happy Boating

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
So far only $89.50. Got lazy and didn't change the oil, filter and lower gear oil in the fall. Ended up doing it 2 weeks ago. I don't expect any more expenses this season, except for gas.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ziltch. The money starts flowing after the snow that's still under the shadows of the pines melts. The waters open but I'm not wearing a survival suit to go out in the boat. It's 34F here.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The lakes are still frozen with no end in site. I suppose my expenses so far consist of the property taxes and electrical connection fee for the house and garage that I bought only to store my boat. Once you are connected to the grid, you can never disconnect, even in the off season when you use no electricity. About a grand so far but I have multiple boats and pieces of equipment in the garage so it averages out.

RGrew176

Commander
I spent a little over 10K last year. For me while I track the expenses I feel no matter what I spend it's worth every penny. I started tracking my boating expenses 2 years ago. Last year I decided to do it again and same this year. I really don't look back with any regrets on the amount of money I spend on boating.

The fun factor boating gives me is priceless. If it ever reaches a point where it's not worth it I guess that will be the time to get out of boating.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Actually started a spread sheet this year to keep a running total. I do all repairs and maintenance which does help keep costs down.
1) New fishfinder - $180
2) Cheap Bimini top - $116
3) Fuel hose - $30
4) Anchor, chain and rope - $100
5) Fuel - $64

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Slip rent - $1300
Fuel - $200-300 (not sure)
New outdrive (Bravo 3) - $9500

It's an unusual year though. Normally maintenance is much, much less.

On the rare occasion I catch a fish, I console myself that, per pound, we're eating the most expensive seafood on earth.

Last edited:

bassman284

Commander
$974.33. 2001 Lund with 60 Merc 4 stroke. Bought it new. Oil change is either annual or biannual, water pump done twice before but everything else was original equipment - fuel filters, spark plugs, timing belt and trailer bearings. for you home mechanics, the labor came to $590.00.