1988 Four Winns 160 Freedom

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys

I'm looking at this boat as a first boat purchase. Want to get the 2 kids out on the water and do some tubing,knee boarding and progress to wakeboarding/skating.

This boat has the 3.0 OMC Cobra engine/drive. The boat looks to be in incredible condition and has been garage kept it's whole life.

What would the engine performance be like for my intended usage? I weight 183lbs, will it pull me out of the water ok?

I'm not worried about going flat out on the water and realize this boat would never achieve that. Just after a fun boat that doesn't break the bank and let's us work out if boating is for us.

This will be my first power boat but have had a yacht and sailing dinghies before. Also been around power boats through work association for 20yrs. I'm also fairly handy and restore muscle cars for fun, which is partly what draws me to this boat as I love the old school vibe it has.

Thanks for your help.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, it's a 30 year old glass on wood boat, so be extra dilligent checking for rot. Also, the OMC Cobra drive has been out of production for a while, so parts are more expensive than a comparable Alpha one equipped boat would be. That said, if they're taken care of they can be great.

I would for sure opt for a water trial. What are they asking for it?

tpenfield

Staff member
Best to find something that has a Mercruiser engine or an outboard. OMC , as stated, is long gone.

Keep in mind the boat's skeleton is made of wood and is now 30 years old.

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies. I would look it over real good for rot especially due to age.

Asking $3500 with trailer and believe me when I tell you this this looks pristine from the photos and very well cared for.

More to the point is that engine suitable for my intended purpose?

Alumarine

Captain
It will pull you out of the water on 2 skies no problem.
On a slalom ski with double boot bindings it will be up to you. You will drag a bit.

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
It will pull you out of the water on 2 skies no problem.
On a slalom ski with double boot bindings it will be up to you. You will drag a bit.

Thanks.We will more likely be on wakeboards/skates come to think of it.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I have a 3.0 in my Sea Ray and it does just fine with my family of grown kids. No one skis in my family -- just tubes, knee board, and wake boards. A 4.3 would obviously be better, but we have no complaints.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A 3.0 for water sports means you keep 2-3 props handy. about a 19 pitch for overall cruising a 17 pitch for tubing and a 15 pitch for skiing.

as for performance, the boat will hit about 40mph with just you a buddy and the 19 pitch, beyond that you need more motor

as for skiing, you, a spotter and someone on skis and maybe a 2nd skiier is the limit for people, even with the 15 pitch prop. beyond that you need more motor.

an 1988 four winns with OMC power is all OMC. Four Winns was owned by OMC back then.

I personally would keep looking

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I run a 19P "High Five" on my little Searay 160 w/3.0 MerCruiser. Power to spare for doing water sports with kids. As already mentioned, pulling an adult up on a slalom ski doing a deep water start is where a 3.0 will struggle. Tubes, wake & knee boards pull easy. Can't even tell they're back there.

And check for rot. Mine said "Red Rocket" on it when I got it. I nick-named it the "Red Rotten"

IMG_0627.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies. I will keep looking as I have also been informed that size boat/vintage is a lot less roomy than more modern boats. Also think we might outgrow that engine plus parts availability/cost being a factor.

mr 88

Commander
I would be in the19-21' range with a Mercruiser V-8 , or outboard,gives you room to grow and will do better in rougher waters than a 16'.