1983 Sea-Ray SXR V-260, dealer asking $6500

Ristin

Seaman
Besides the fact this boat is 35 years old, was Sea-Ray build quality decent in the 80's? I read several threads on this forum about avoiding Bayliners from that time frame due to poor build quality.
The boat I'm interested in looks decent. Needs a bath and a good buff out but there are no scratches, cracks or holes in the gelcoat. The exposed wood in the exterior cabin area will need sanding and re-coating but the upholstery and canvas's are in good condition. The cabin area is clean, no water stains and doesn't smell of mold or mildew and the dealer claims everything works. I didn't notice any soft spots in the floor and the bilge area that I could see was clean and didn't smell of mold or mildew.
Has a Mercruiser 260 that has either been recently pressure washed or doesn't leak any fluids. Open cooling system, electrical looks factory and unmodified. Drive unit looks good, paint is intact, the skeg and prop are in good shape, no missing chunks or gouges.
Trailer was in decent shape as well.

I imagine $6500 is on the high side but I doubt the dealer will budge much, if at all. I once looked at a boat that was priced $3000 over Nada value and salesman told me they don't go by Nada values because this is a boating community and they will get their asking price. I offered $1000 less than what they were asking which was still $2000 over Nada value and the salesman wouldn't even take the offer to his boss. Thought the guy was a jerk but stopped in a year later because the boat was still there, talked to a different salesman and they still wouldn't drop the price. Boat disappeared so I assume they finally sold it.

While I would really like a houseboat, but our usage wouldn't justify $6000/year in mooring fees so I need something I can tow with my 1 ton dually while not freaking out the Admiral with a huge monthly payment.

Thoughts?

Ristin

Seaman
Threads are more fun with pictures

Attachments

• photo286777.jpg
    photo286777.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286778.jpg
    photo286778.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286779.jpg
    photo286779.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286780.jpg
    photo286780.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286781.jpg
    photo286781.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 35 year old boat. guaranteed to have wet wood somewhere in the hull.

build quality was good when the boat was new 35 years ago.

now all that maters is condition....condition....condition....

Ristin

Seaman
You really want to "day launch" that big of a boat?

I'm sure the first couple of times would be entertaining. :) I have friends who mechanic at the local marina and they handle bigger boats all the time. I know I could reach out to them for instruction. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard could it be?" :)
The lake this boat would be used on most of the time is huge and the launch I use is 6 concrete lanes wide and well protected from the wind. We typically launch mid morning so the fishermen are launched and the leisure boaters haven't arrived yet. A short day on the lake for us is 8-10 hours even when we say we're just going out for a few hours. :) I'm off 3 weeks at a time and we usually boat on weekdays.
I'm fortunate that my wife likes the boat and is happy to be involved with prepping and launching. Last summer she had me teach her how to run the boat and this year she wants to learn to hitch,tow,launch and retrieve the boat.
A boat this size would be less expensive to moor and I would have more marina options if I decided to moor it. I can tow this with my dually and not have to pay $900 to have the bigger houseboat hauled to my house. LOL the house boat was 36' long, 12.5' beam, 12,500lbs and yes, my shop is large enough to store the houseboat inside during winter so the V-260 would've fit no problem right next to my bow rider.
Missed out in this one but there will be others.