Is it standard practice to test drive boat and get a survey? (newbie buyer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
First time boat buyer here, trying to make it happen in the next month or so as well. I'm wondering if it's standard practice to test drive a boat on the water and get a survey when dealing with private sellers (or even dealers too)? Trying to gauge what is normal or not just in case I get some feisty resistance from the sellers about putting boat in water / getting someone to look at the boat etc...

To be more specific, I am planning on buying a bowrider of some sort, around 19' and a 5.0 - 5.7 engine hopefully.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
A sea trial is pretty much mandatory. Just running it on muffs is not sufficient. You need to see how it runs on the water at different rpm's and speeds. Any seller, individual or dealer, that says NO sea trial is probably hiding something.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
A sea trial is pretty much mandatory. Just running it on muffs is not sufficient. You need to see how it runs on the water at different rpm's and speeds. Any seller, individual or dealer, that says NO sea trial is probably hiding something.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Just like to gauge whether it's normal or not kidna thing. What about in cold weather? I live in Wisconsin where it's still about 35 degrees right now. Should I hold off my search until next month?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What Dave said. A sea trial is, IMO, mandatory, and it doesn't matter if the seller is a dealer or private party. An honest dealer will encourage you to get a survey, too. I also consider that a 'must have.' Never use a mechanic or surveyor recommended by the seller. Hire your own.

You don't necessarily need to hold off on your search. I have twice bought boats in the off season. It's a common practice with boat dealers and brokers. The seller and I agreed on a price, and I put down a deposit. We signed a sales document that was contingent on a successful sea trial and survey in the Spring. If things were okay I was obligated to buy the boat. If there were issues, I could buy it, renegotiate the price, or simply take my deposit back and walk away. An honest dealer will generally refund the whole deposit. With a private seller, you'll need to work that out beforehand.

In a sales contract like the one above, you're essentially stipulating that you have 'first right of refusal' in the purchase of the boat. The seller can line up as many potential buyers as he wants, and take as many deposits as he wants, but he can't sell the boat to anyone else unless and until you've walked away from the deal.

My .02

My .02

Last edited:

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
What Dave said. A sea trial is, IMO, mandatory, and it doesn't matter if the seller is a dealer or private party. An honest dealer will encourage you to get a survey, too. I also consider that a 'must have.' Never use a mechanic or surveyor recommended by the seller. Hire your own.

You don't necessarily need to hold off on your search. I have twice bought boats in the off season. It's a common practice with boat dealers and brokers. The seller and I agreed on a price, and I put down a deposit. We signed a sales document that was contingent on a successful sea trial and survey in the Spring. If things were okay I was obligated to buy the boat. If there were issues, I could buy it, renegotiate the price, or simply take my deposit back and walk away. An honest dealer will generally refund the whole deposit. With a private seller, you'll need to work that out beforehand.

In a sales contract like the one above, you're essentially stipulating that you have 'first right of refusal' in the purchase of the boat. The seller can line up as many potential buyers as he wants, and take as many deposits as he wants, but he can't sell the boat to anyone else unless and until you've walked away from the deal.

My .02

My .02

Absolutely. Good advice. My only issue here is that doing this whole schabang with a private seller seems like a pain in the ass. I already know it's not going to be a fun experience but unfortunately deals are much better private.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
In some parts of the country, sea trials are not as common, although admittedly it increases your risk as buyer. For example, here in the Midwest, if you try to buy a boat during the cold months (when prices are best), there is little to no chance you'll get a sea trial. Some sellers might agree to make the purchase contingent on a sea trial when the weather warms up, but many buyers won't and will just sell to the next buyer who comes along. A lot of folks will say that you should never buy without a sea trial, but where I live, if you have that attitude you'll most likely end up paying lots more for a boat.

Similarly, there are very few marine surveyors near me. I'm not even sure you could justify the cost for a smaller boat like you mention. I have requested a marine mechanic check out a boat I was ready to buy and it identified a bunch of problems that scared me away from the deal. That inspection only cost a couple hundred bucks, but it was money well spent.

If you live somewhere a sea trial is possible, by all means, you should try to get one. But they are not the norm everywhere.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A sea trial is a must even though I didn't and got lucky. I don't know of any surveyors that will do a 19' bowrider, if you can find a surveyor around here.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just like to gauge whether it's normal or not kidna thing. What about in cold weather? I live in Wisconsin where it's still about 35 degrees right now. Should I hold off my search until next month?

I highly recommend a sea trial

depending on where you are, water is open. with 35 degree temps, wear a snomobile suit.

My last two boats were bought in March. I drove down to St Louis for the SeaRay in 2008 (saved $5k over buying in WI) and I picked up the Cruisers from a coworker. Searay was a sea trial on the river, the Cruisers was $1000 down and remaining payment upon successful sea trial (boat was dropped in the water 1st weekend in April at the quarry in Sturgeon Bay for a run to JJ's in Sister Bay for margaritas). Sold my Searay that April. Had the guy meet me in Sturgeon bay so he could drive the boat. Docks were not in yet on Clark Lake, so hip-waders were used.

I live in Minnesota and have bought winter boats. Unless it's the middle of January, you can always find an open river somewhere to do a trial. Definitely dress warm and my suggestion is to wear a snowmobile helmet. That brain freeze going on plane at 20 degrees is shocking.

Forget the survey. Bring along a buddy that knows boats better than you.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
No it is not standard, it's not even the norm (it probably should be but it is not) Most buyers for that type of boat are not going to do a water test. If you can you definitely should. As others have said if the seller refuses to allow you to water test a boat that sends up some red flags.

You should do or at least ask for a water test and not feel guilty about it.

A lot of what you read on this site will say you have to get a survey, but a lot of surveyors will not do a boat that small or will charge a very high fee.

I once sold a $16k boat to a guy who didn't even take the cover off! He was so happy to have found his dream boat at a decent price that he just hooked it up to his truck and drove away with a huge smile. As my wife said - that guy is lucky he bought that from you and not some shister.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
In some parts of the country, sea trials are not as common, although admittedly it increases your risk as buyer. For example, here in the Midwest, if you try to buy a boat during the cold months (when prices are best), there is little to no chance you'll get a sea trial. Some sellers might agree to make the purchase contingent on a sea trial when the weather warms up, but many buyers won't and will just sell to the next buyer who comes along. A lot of folks will say that you should never buy without a sea trial, but where I live, if you have that attitude you'll most likely end up paying lots more for a boat.

Similarly, there are very few marine surveyors near me. I'm not even sure you could justify the cost for a smaller boat like you mention. I have requested a marine mechanic check out a boat I was ready to buy and it identified a bunch of problems that scared me away from the deal. That inspection only cost a couple hundred bucks, but it was money well spent.

If you live somewhere a sea trial is possible, by all means, you should try to get one. But they are not the norm everywhere.

Yeah you know the pain, I live in Wisconsin! LOL. I have a certified marine mechanic that will be looking at the boat pre-sale for me. I will not be doing a sea trial.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
No it is not standard, it's not even the norm (it probably should be but it is not) Most buyers for that type of boat are not going to do a water test. If you can you definitely should. As others have said if the seller refuses to allow you to water test a boat that sends up some red flags.

You should do or at least ask for a water test and not feel guilty about it.

A lot of what you read on this site will say you have to get a survey, but a lot of surveyors will not do a boat that small or will charge a very high fee.

I once sold a $16k boat to a guy who didn't even take the cover off! He was so happy to have found his dream boat at a decent price that he just hooked it up to his truck and drove away with a huge smile. As my wife said - that guy is lucky he bought that from you and not some shister.

That's a good honest point though. I think determining the character of the people you're buying from is very important as well. If you're buying from what appears to be a charismatic, honest family man chances are they 'PROBABLY' took decent care of the boat.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have each and every receipt for absolutely everything I have bought to maintain my 19.er. Down to 2 stroke oil to show I bought the best available. If and when I decide to sell I will give the file to the perspective buyer to peruse. I would ask for maintenance records if I were buying but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I've only had the luxury of taking one of my boats (in a long list) on a sea trial before purchase, not that common up here in the frozen north. (and coincidentally, all but one of my boats was purchased when the water was rock solid) It isn't overly hard to judge a boat without a sea trial. Between sizing up the boat, engine, and owner, you can get a pretty good feel of things.

oldjeep

Admiral
No, I bought my current boat during the middle of winter a few years ago. No opportunity to even run it on the muffs, and it was an almost 60K boat. I knew that if I waited until spring that it would be gone.

The guy I sold my previous boat to asked if he could have it inspected by a mechanic since it was winter and he couldn't test the boat in the water. I told him, sure if he got an appointment at a certified Mercruiser shop that I'd bring it over there but that the boat was for sale until it was sold. Wound up selling it to another guy after the first guy figured out that it is a 4 month wait for a real marine mechanic. If I was selling when a water test was possible then I would have been happy to do it as long as there was a real offer with money down that was only pending a test and not just taking any random joy rider for a ride.

You need to decide how much risk you are willing to assume and if you are willing to take what is available in the spring when a boat could be tested.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have seen a few boats sell in winter, come spring when everything thaws out, you could find a rotten transom or soft floor. Be careful!

RGrew176

Commander
Maybe its just me but I would never purchase a used boat without a seatrial. Some even say you should seatrial a new boat prior to purchase. Used boat, definitely.

adam9280

Recruit
Some even say you should seatrial a new boat prior to purchase.

I would agree with that.

1. You don't want to find stuff wrong and have to take it right in to the service dept for warranty work.
2. You don't want them to deny the issues/repairs under the warranty if they try to blame you for them.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I've broken all of the rules for different reasons. My first boat had 20 hours on it, still a new boat so I bought it without a test. It was as expected. My waverunner was owned by a commercial pilot with big plans but no time, he bought it drove it three weekends, put 15 hours on it and again, was still a new boat, bought it without a test...again it was a new boat having gotten three weekends of use total and he threw the nearly new boat lift in. My current boat was a hard to find model and was advertised by the owner for a couple weeks before he pulled it out of winter storage. As you can imagine, there were seven people in line to buy it all awaiting the day he pulled it out of storage. I got the first appointment and other buyers started showing up at his house. Boat had just over 200 hours on it but still nice and well maintained and I had been searching for quite a while for the exact boat with the hard to find 350 mpi so I bought it without a test. True to his word, the boat was exactly as described. Two of the boats were nearly new and a test was 'arguably' not a requirement but the third boat, the moment, the scarcity, the time of year, and the fact I was boatless having sold my previous and so no boat on my boatlift at my lake house got the best of me. A test drive meant, the next guy standing in the culdesac got the boat and I was willing to bet the guy was honest and willing to take the chance for the exact boat I was seeking having been in the market for so long.
Also, the minimum price for an actual survey is $2,000 in my neck of the woods. Fine for a larger boat maybe not so much for other boats.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
I've broken all of the rules for different reasons. My first boat had 20 hours on it, still a new boat so I bought it without a test. It was as expected. My waverunner was owned by a commercial pilot with big plans but no time, he bought it drove it three weekends, put 15 hours on it and again, was still a new boat, bought it without a test...again it was a new boat having gotten three weekends of use total and he threw the nearly new boat lift in. My current boat was a hard to find model and was advertised by the owner for a couple weeks before he pulled it out of winter storage. As you can imagine, there were seven people in line to buy it all awaiting the day he pulled it out of storage. I got the first appointment and other buyers started showing up at his house. Boat had just over 200 hours on it but still nice and well maintained and I had been searching for quite a while for the exact boat with the hard to find 350 mpi so I bought it without a test. True to his word, the boat was exactly as described. Two of the boats were nearly new and a test was 'arguably' not a requirement but the third boat, the moment, the scarcity, the time of year, and the fact I was boatless having sold my previous and so no boat on my boatlift at my lake house got the best of me. A test drive meant, the next guy standing in the culdesac got the boat and I was willing to bet the guy was honest and willing to take the chance for the exact boat I was seeking having been in the market for so long.
Also, the minimum price for an actual survey is $2,000 in my neck of the woods. Fine for a larger boat maybe not so much for other boats.

Kinda the same situation I'm in right now. It's a 2000 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 I/O. Boat looks to be in great shape from photos. The family selling is very nice and compliant, has all paperwork, title work, manuals etc. If visual inspection goes well this weekend then I will be having a certified marine mechanic inspect it early next week. I'm afraid this boat won't last long. Two appointments already cancelled on him so I'm next!

Status
Not open for further replies.