Dodged the Ice Reaper again

alldodge

Staff member
Yesterday was working on the boat getting ready to put it in. Removed a rag placed in the bilge and found a freeze plug laying in the bilge.

Started to sweat and put my head further down and noticed the block plug on the port side was still in. Also notice a rusty hole where the plug came out, the middle plug was half out, and felt behind the motor mount and found that one still in place.

Picked up a light and looked over the side of the block closely, and did not see any cracks. Cleaned the hole up with sand paper, used some high tac sealant and re-installed plugs.

Fired it up, no leaks and no extra oil. Dunked it in the water and brought it around into its slip. Still no leaks and no extra oil. Man did I get lucky AGAIN

This happened about 15 years ago with my Rinker. That time it was the starboard side. Said then as this time. I will not do this again, but it happened again.

Remember looking at all the plugs and thinking there should be one more, but had someone talking to me so I got side tracked. Hope I remember this time better.

Don't think SBC would be able to take the same freeze issue, but don't want to test the theory

alldodge

Staff member
Didnt winterize it?

That is a Yes/No. Did winterize, but for some reason I missed one plug, so for the most part no. Winterize says remove all plugs, stick something up the hole, let drain, disconnect circulation water hose, and the motor is done. Forgot one, so didn't fully do it

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Lucky boy AD....there is a wee argument in there somewhere in favour of the strong mix antifreeze camp

Old Ironmaker

Captain
. I've never had a I/O to winterize but I have parked many old vehicles in Canadian winters and never pulled out the frost plug and never cracked a block either. Why are I/O's different?

alldodge

Staff member
. I've never had a I/O to winterize but I have parked many old vehicles in Canadian winters and never pulled out the frost plug and never cracked a block either. Why are I/O's different?

Raw water cooled I/O has nothing but water in them, it will freeze. Old vehicles have antifreeze in them from start, so no need to drain water out.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Your cars have never had straight water in them ,just antifreeze 50/50 mix i assume,so nothing to freeze which is a best case scenario.I/Os are either raw water cooled which means water cools everything or fresh water cooled which means the block has antifreeze but everything else including a heat exchanger(radiator like) is cooled by water.Many like to winterize by simply draining water which as AD just learned is not fool proof.I winterize using AF for the same reason automobiles do.AF does not freeze and it adds off season anticorrosion when it is really needed.Charlie

Maclin

Admiral
No block ever cracked when all drain plugs were removed and cleared. Many blocks have cracked due to missed steps or misinterpretation of a process using antifreeze.

AllDodge Glad you Dodged ;) that one...or appear to have. A couple of hours with load will be the acid test. Continued good luck to you sir :ranger:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting....have not owned an I/O in years but years past, I simply removed thermostat, opened all the drains and filled the block with pink anti-freee until it came out the drains.

Closed the drains and called it good. Never any problems. Then again our average high in January is 41F with a low of 24F

alldodge

Staff member
opened all the drains

This is my original point, I missed one (actually the easiest drain to get to). If all water is drained, your good, adding AF afterwards is also good and can reduce corrosion. If I was in salt, would use AF

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Thanks guys, I actually knew that but didn't have enough caffeine in me yet, duhhhh.

There are always more than 1 way to skin a cat. Usually the right way which is usually my way. I run plumbers anti freeze through my outboards every year, I'm told it's over doing it, maybe but it helps me sleep during these long cold winter nights here in Canada with winds whipping off Lake Erie at 100 KMH. A jug costs10 bucks, a great price for a few months of restful nights.

roffey

Commander
when I winterize my boat i remove 5 plugs and drain the water out. I then put the plugs back in and run antifreeze through the motor and fog it till it dies out. Remove the 5 plugs and let the antifreeze run out then put the plugs back in and them the boat goes into the garage for the winter. I do realize the OP had a moment and forgot one of the plugs and likely dodge a bullet this time.

Speaking of winterizing its almost time to bring the boat out of hibernation. We should have a statutory holiday for that. Everybody who has a boat gets the day off to clean it and do the first start of the year, makes sense to me.

alldodge

Staff member
Speaking of winterizing its almost time to bring the boat out of hibernation. We should have a statutory holiday for that. Everybody who has a boat gets the day off to clean it and do the first start of the year, makes sense to me.

I like it :thumb: wonder how many have to march to get it to pass :D
Wait a minute, I like to drink beer but not march :( Maybe the younger ones can do it for us old guys :D

Waiting for a warm day now to go take it for a spin

Old Ironmaker

Captain

I like the way you think my man. Run for Parliament and make it a stat, you have my vote. It supposed to go up into the mid teens here this week. Friday the weatherwoman was calling for a southern Ontario snow storm this week, now 15C???

. When I put my boat away in the building in November (got smart this time, last in first out) I was thinking about selling her, as it gets closer and closer to getting her out I am thinking less and less about selling her and getting something smaller that I can launch and fish solo. The old tale about the 2 best days for a boat owner is bull as far as myself at least. I will miss my StarCraft Superfisherman 190. If a 170 came up for sale I might be all over it.