Where can I put boat name?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

I have an 18' 2004 Maxum 1800Sr3. Last year was our first year keeping her in a slip in the bay here. After agonizing over a name for like 8 months we came up with one. Was looking today and trying to figure out where the heck I can put it!!! I know she's not the normal type of boat people put a name graphic on, but the wife and boy would like it on there. Anyone have any pics of theirs or similar style and size that they can show for some ideas on placement? There is a swim platform on it, so no way to out on the transom.

Thanks!!
Dave

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I put the name of our searay on the back end of the swim platform. the edge of the platform was 4" tall, so 3" letters worked perfect.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My Lady bought me a nice graphic banner years back for the unofficial name of my 19'er. BASSASSIN. It didn't fit the transom where most boat names are. It would be 1/2 under water and behind the OB. It will have to wait for a bigger boat. It will look silly on 1 side. Your boat is most likely too small for a transom banner like mine. Buy a bigger boat so the name fits, great excuse to go bigger.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... On my tinbarge, I put the name on the side of the hull, just forward of the aft corners,....

On the barge I'm buildin' now, it's probably goin' on the forward deck, over the cuddy,... not sure exactly,...

southkogs

Staff member
Done nicely in vinyl, the name can look real nice on each side.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
I was thinking of the swim platform, but its only 2" thick...that would be really small lettering to get it to fit, prob 1 1/2". I was originally thinking side as well, but if you look at the pic, there is already graphics there so I don't see where the heck I can put them. Last idea I have is on the trunk deck lid. I have about 2" of heights that would fit under the latch, but again, Not sure it would be big enough to really see unless you are sitting on the platform. Thinking of maybe going larger letters across the trunk and then just cut out for latch, but not sure how that will look.

Attachments

• photo286727.png
    photo286727.png
    780 KB · Views: 1
  • photo286728.png
    photo286728.png
    753.7 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Go to the left of that latch - you've got quite a bit of room over there.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
^^^^ Yup!
No pro here, but I played a little in a photo editor.. The red area I'd say is "Printable"..
Used color picker to get the blue from the boat, and you can go on both sides of latch too..
Is the name you picked one word or multi?

Just a thought, in case it helps add to the idea southkogs mentioned..

Attachments

• photo286741.png
    photo286741.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 1

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
It is one word...InconSEAvable. I thought of just going to the left of the latch but thought it would look funny if it was off center.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, made 2 more "Scratch-Pad" type pics...

Click image for larger version  Name:	inconseavable.png Views:	1 Size:	198.6 KB ID:	10547917

Or
Click image for larger version  Name:	incon-sea-vable.png Views:	1 Size:	198.6 KB ID:	10547918

Anyway...
If nothing else, it may help visualize ideas...
Obviously it'd change depending on your font etc.. but a flowing type font could help go under the latch..
I dunno... lol!
Hope it helps even if just a little! :D

southkogs

Staff member
It is one word...InconSEAvable. I thought of just going to the left of the latch but thought it would look funny if it was off center.
A little asymmetry is good for ya' ... ;)

Some people are kinda' thrown by things not being centered or evenly distributed. I work in the creative/art end of the world, and I can tell you there are literally hundreds of ways (and jboute has shown you a couple of good ones) to make the name look fine off center.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
So here is what I ended up going with. If I measured right...the hyphen should be just under that latch. Fingers crossed. :)

Attachments

• photo286879.png
    photo286879.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Looks good.

Though, I am concerned that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

briangcc

Commander
Since you have a large swim platform, have you given any thought to something like SeaDek or another manufacturer? Reason I ask, and for full disclosure I'm getting SeaDek for my swim platform, is that they will cut any design/name into the material for you. So you'll see it from the dock and anytime you're on the lounge/sun pad.

Just an alternative to small letters on the transom or side of the boat...