Has anyone painted canvas /sunbrella with good results?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have a bimini that I was going to trash due to fade.Then I thought if I were able to paint it with decent results I would hang onto it and use it in the early spring and late fall to give my NEW bimini a break from the weather.Anyone who has tried this please respond .thanks Charlie

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You could try a dye, but I doubt paint would work, for more than a day,.....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I myself would be leery of dye. Some dyes leech out the color and I think that itself would pretty hard to get off the gelcoat/vinyl. Paint? Not sure, possibly a light spray coat, Anything thicker would chip and come off?

ahicks

Captain
Maybe try something oily, like a waterproofing agent, or silicone spray?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
All those circus banners like the one for The Bearded Lady were painted and survive to this day. You were going to trash it anyway, I'd try an outdoor acrylic latex.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Good point Ironmaker. They might have used lead based paint back then. They also treated the canvass tents with Kerosene for waterproofing, till one caught fire and killed or injured a lot of people. Maby latex paint would work?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the opinions guys but I am really looking for someone that has actually tried this before.I know back in the 80s there were businesses that installed simulated convertible roofs on cars.These were paintable to change color.Just dont know what they used.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes and No. The bimini can't be stowed without the paint cracking and looking worse than the fade I was trying to hide. Oil based is more flexible, but not enough to take the folding and wind flex. Some latex paint tends to chalk and the chalking runs. Haven't tried a dye.

Treat it with a waterproofing product made for a bimini. If it's not leaking - Live with it or install the new bimini and take care of it to extend the life of the color.

southkogs

Staff member
There are some dyes out there designed for automobile convertible tops. I would see if you can find one in the came color direction as your bimini and maybe try that. I've not tried one, but I do quite a bit with dye sublimated fabric and honestly the new dye structures are pretty impressive. The ones we deal with (large scale graphics), you can nearly wash in a standard washer with your clothes and it's not a problem.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
There are some dyes out there designed for automobile convertible tops. I would see if you can find one in the came color direction as your bimini and maybe try that. I've not tried one, but I do quite a bit with dye sublimated fabric and honestly the new dye structures are pretty impressive. The ones we deal with (large scale graphics), you can nearly wash in a standard washer with your clothes and it's not a problem.

Sounds interesting